Is this possible, or just high hopes?

HansenMamaOf2

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
We had 4 amazing backyard chickens for 1.5 years. We fell completely in love with them, but they were against association rules and someone complained. Thankfully a close friend has 5 acres and was able to take them in. They are now even more spoiled than they were here, but we really miss having our chickens.
They use to be super quiet but once one of the EE's started laying she was LOUD! over the next year she got the other 3 ladies to be loud as well.
Do any of you have any BYC that are quiet? We are thinking of just getting 2 for now to lesser the chances of anyone ruining it for us, but I am not sure if I am just being unrealistic.

Another reason we are considering is because my husband is allergic to eggs. He could eat our organic eggs, but cannot handle any other "organic" eggs we purchase.

When they lay eggs, they give a few hollers. I am guessing the egg is a bit uncomfortable coming out. You are best off working on a legal solution. Post the rules and maybe we can help draft an alternative that will allow you. You then will have to get a petition to press the board into making a rules change.

When they lay eggs, they give a few hollers. I am guessing the egg is a bit uncomfortable coming out. You are best off working on a legal solution. Post the rules and maybe we can help draft an alternative that will allow you. You then will have to get a petition to press the board into making a rules change.

Thank you. I will look it up. Pretty much we were just told "no livestock". These hens did not just do their egg laying song. They started making LOUD noise the second the sun came out. It was so bad. Then it continued all day long! Yes, all 3 laid eggs lol

I suggest that, given your current situation, you give up the idea of having back yard chickens. Hens can be loud, not just when laying eggs, but when ever they have a complaint, when ever they see something that looks threatening (a dog walking by, a kid on a skate board, an air plane, even a big bird flying by) they will go into alarm mode that can last for quite an unreasonable length of time.

If you want to fight the rules, do so legally. If dogs are allowed, what are the HOA rules regarding them? If you can reasonably prove that your chickens are no more noisy than a dog, no more smelly or destructive than a dog, you might be able to change those rules.

Hens can be crazy loud.
Most the day they are quiet, but can spend at least a couple hours everyday yakkin and squawkin.

Is your husband allergic to the eggs from the hens you gave your friend?
Has he tried duck eggs? Many people who can't eat chicken eggs can eat duck eggs.

I suggest that, given your current situation, you give up the idea of having back yard chickens. Hens can be loud, not just when laying eggs, but when ever they have a complaint, when ever they see something that looks threatening (a dog walking by, a kid on a skate board, an air plane, even a big bird flying by) they will go into alarm mode that can last for quite an unreasonable length of time.

If you want to fight the rules, do so legally. If dogs are allowed, what are the HOA rules regarding them? If you can reasonably prove that your chickens are no more noisy than a dog, no more smelly or destructive than a dog, you might be able to change those rules.
That alarm call happened this morning at 5 a.m. I opened the coop, turn on the lights, 20170412_054527.jpg , its just daybreak at 5 a.m.this time of year, filled the outside waterer's, checked feeder and check for eggs.
All of a sudden, one hen sounded the threat call. Every one froze, including me. I looked in the direction they were looking and a grey fox came out of my neighbors yard and into the street, stopped and looked right at us for a couple of seconds and ran off down the road.
That one hen kept sounding the alarm, now its 5 in the morning. After a minute I slowly walked up to her and said its OK girl, that big bad fox is gone, and she stopped. Good girl, your a good girl. GC

My whole flock went ballistic with a hawk threat. Their alarms went on and on and on and on. They did not stop until I started moving around in the yard, in the coop and the run, among them. Eventually, they decided that if I thought it was safe, it must be so... and the alarms ceased. A lot of hawk business keeping my flock on high alert the past 2 weeks. Now, I've figured out what the "land predator" is that has them all spooked. A ground hog has moved into the yard! Trap baited with a marshmallow, shot gun at the ready.

I have been quite surprised at how noisy my girls can be. We are in an urban area, but they are allowed. I thought some neighbours might complain, but so far nothing. But they do get loud sometimes.

You could keep some Japanese quail for eggs. Females are very quiet - they sound like crickets and are no louder (probably quieter actually). They only need a small cage too. Might be an alternative to chickens. Ours are friendlier than our chickens too and just the perfect size for our kids to hold.

Back
Top Bottom