Is this really a black laced red wyandotte?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
This chick is supposed to be a black laced red wyandotte, but the legs are more tan than the bright yellow my silver laced wyandotte had, and just overall not sure about the feathers coming in either. Thoughts?

In the leg photos with 2 chicks, “BO” is buff orpington and “GCM” is golden copper marans. I don’t have a yellow-leg chick in this batch to compare with.
184FD1FA-72D6-46FD-96C6-EE3874E0A89B.jpeg
3C60038A-9C1C-4B2D-B79C-DD947124EAF0.jpeg
85477416-4148-4502-85CA-8FE7523848B2.jpeg
C0C7CB13-5812-45FD-98F0-9BA3E738E7C2.jpeg
60FCC0C1-8E77-4BB1-A4F2-393816B83707.jpeg
8BA058ED-F694-439C-939C-842478CE4CB6.jpeg

Darker birds have darker legs.
So the white in the SLW makes the legs lighter too? Interesting…my SLW was basically all black when his adult feathers first started coming in. The lacing took a while to show up.

The feather differences were also throwing me since as I said the SLW had black feathers with maybe a teeeny slit of white in the center at first, and these are more of a mix/speckled looking. (Not speckled the hen coloration - speckled like the individual feathers look like they have speckles of black on them.)

So the white in the SLW makes the legs lighter too? Interesting…my SLW was basically all black when his adult feathers first started coming in. The lacing took a while to show up.

The feather differences were also throwing me since as I said the SLW had black feathers with maybe a teeeny slit of white in the center at first, and these are more of a mix/speckled looking. (Not speckled the hen coloration - speckled like the individual feathers look like they have speckles of black on them.)
The pigments in the feathers usually 'wash' the legs too, especially with yellow legged breeds. They'll get more yellow with age. My Partridge Rocks have brown legs and they're yellow based and my penciled rocks have a gray wash on their legs, also yellow based. But their feet soles are banana yellow.

The pigments in the feathers usually 'wash' the legs too, especially with yellow legged breeds. They'll get more yellow with age. My Partridge Rocks have brown legs and they're yellow based and my penciled rocks have a gray wash on their legs, also yellow based. But their feet soles are banana yellow.
Ok I’ll check the feet in a few minutes when I clean out the brooder. 👍

Back
Top Bottom