Is This Scaly Leg Mites? Suggested Treatment?

LupinLaneChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lynnwood, WA
Hello,
I am wondering if what I am seeing in these two hens is Scaly Leg Mites? Both are feather footed and I cant tell if it is just how the feathers grow or if it is a problem? All of the other 8 clean legged hens have very smooth feet and legs that look nothing like this. There is one Buff Orpington Hen that has red/pink feet and legs and I posted a picture, though im not sure if there is anything wrong or if its just how she is. If it is Scaly Leg Mites what treatment do you suggest? I have heard a ton of different opinions on this. I am wondering if Ivomectrin would work?

Lavender Belgian Booted D'Uccle Hen
59972_sam_0578_-_copy.jpg

Black Silkie Hen
59972_sam_0583_-_copy.jpg

Buff Orpington Hen
59972_sam_0581_-_copy.jpg

59972_sam_0586_-_copy.jpg

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black Silkie, Lavender D’Uccle Bantam, 2 years old, healthy weights
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It doesn’t seem to bother them at all
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I have just recently noticed this
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not that I can tell, the other birds are clean legged and seem to be completely healthy and clean
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I took her to a show last summer
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer Crumble, fresh clean water, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None so far
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine Shavings, Large house type coop, 25ft x 15ft run. They are kept warm, clean and dry.

Not completely sure if its scaly leg mites, but you can smother her legs with vaseline every evening for a week and see it it helps. Some folks mix in some poultry dust (pyrethrin) to add some extra boost. It won't hurt her even if it isn't mites. Good luck!

Edit: check out the thread just a few earlier by Nifty Chicken. It's 12 pages and full of info. I also forgot to mention cleaning the legs with flea and tick shampoo for dogs. We soak for a bit and clean the legs with soft brush and then did the vaseline. Seemed to work for a mild case. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom