Is this splay leg?

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I have a new chick and I'm not sure if this is splay leg? It's a little clumsy but otherwise walking okay. Just wondering if this level warrants splinting? Sometimes it looks like it is standing normally so I'm not sure..

Attachments

• 20230921_130536.jpg
    20230921_130536.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 23
I have a new chick and I'm not sure if this is splay leg? It's a little clumsy but otherwise walking okay. Just wondering if this level warrants splinting? Sometimes it looks like it is standing normally so I'm not sure..
It looks like it to me if that's the way it always stands. Chicks stand with their feet directly under their bodies. Do you know how to hobble? If so, I would. If not, there's lots of tips on here or just let me know as I've done it a few times.

It looks like it to me if that's the way it always stands. Chicks stand with their feet directly under their bodies. Do you know how to hobble? If so, I would. If not, there's lots of tips on here or just let me know as I've done it a few times.
I've done it once, very poorly on a quail. Ive done a lot of reading on it so I will try on this one.. would you recommend the bandaid method? How long do I leave It on?

I've done it once, very poorly on a quail. Ive done a lot of reading on it so I will try on this one.. would you recommend the bandaid method? How long do I leave It on?
I used a thin strip of vet wrap, which is similar to the bandaid idea. I changed it every morning and every night letting the chick run around or stumble around for a few minutes (so they use their leg muscles a little bit that the hobble is preventing them from) before putting it right back on again. It worked all three times I did it in three days. One still seemed a tiny bit bull-legged but I let it go as it was hardly noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom