Is This The Change You Wanted In The Last Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
If it is then you do not have anyone who is elderly depending on that check Or know someone serving to protect you as a country THis nonsense has to stop Our country has become so divided that no matter who runs and wins the other party will do everything in there power to stop any progress made.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama raised the stakes in the third straight day of budget talks on Tuesday by warning that senior citizens and veterans may suffer first if the debt ceiling is not raised by August 2.

The comments came as top Republicans toughened their stance in the deficit reduction talks. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said a "real solution" to the U.S. debt problem was unlikely while Obama was in office.

U.S. business leaders pressed Obama and congressional leaders to act swiftly to raise the $14.3 trillion U.S. debt ceiling -- which caps how much the United States can borrow -- or risk derailing a sputtering economic recovery and endangering the global financial system.

Obama and top lawmakers from both parties were due to meet at the White House at 3:45 p.m. ET.

The president said in an interview with U.S. television network CBS that checks to recipients of the Social Security retirement program may not go out in early August if he and congressional leaders do not agree on a debt deal.

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue," Obama said, according to excerpts of the interview released in advance of its broadcast.

"Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Obama said. He said veterans checks and disability benefits could also be affected without a deal.

After months of talks, Republican and Democratic leaders are still at an impasse over a deficit reduction deal that would clear the way for Congress to raise the debt ceiling.

While they agree on the need to raise the debt limit before the United States defaults on August 2, both sides have engaged in a furious blame game over the failure to advance the deficit reduction package.

Republicans on Tuesday ratcheted up pressure on Obama and his fellow Democrats, who have accused Republicans of refusing to compromise.

"I have little question that as long as this president is in the Oval Office a real solution is probably unattainable," McConnell said.

barnie.gif
he.gif
duc.gif

Why doesnt he hit Welfare FIRST!?! Those people CAN work....
Most people on disabiliy CANT work! Thats why they are on disability!
And if he touches the soliders pay, i hope every single one of them walks.
And ooh yeah, real nice. Take away SS... those people worked their WHOLE lives for that money.
Why doesnt he cut the White House budget... all his limos and drivers and air force 1 rides,.. and special expensive foods every day, and personal chefs.... etc...
Why doesnt congress take a pay cut?

Last edited:
I'm scared. DH is supposed to get his first SS check in August. Don't know what will happen if our checks stop. I've never been afraid of not paying my bills before.

No, this is not the change I hoped for. I know it sometimes seems Hopeless but it's not. The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that God is allowing all of this to happen for a reason. I have no idea what that reason is, but I do have a few ideas, maybe it's to show us that government is not supposed to be our great provider, maybe it's to show us how far we are away from Him..and for those of you who are already turning up your nose or laughing at the ignorant one with faith, He loves you too!!! (John 3:16) Hope all at BYC have a wonderful day and for those of you who agree, Prayer changes everything..then join me on my knees praying for this world, our great nation, it's citizens, our leaders, our military, our economy

Quote:
Actually that's pretty much wholly it. When you try to find middle ground, your party calls you a traitior, and the other party won't deal because they're afraid of looking "weak" to thier own party members. I don't think it matters which side is in office anymore, there's too mucn animosity to move forward on pertty much every topic.

Quote:
posting a topic about the debt ceiling should not be an excuse to preach at people about your religious beliefs on how people who don't believe what you believe are bad etc etc

i am worried. my mother worked her whole life for her social security, my step father was career military, a disabled veteran, 82 airborn, vietnam, and worked hard his entire life. my parents and i put our money in together to buy this farm land. if those checks stop we loose everything.w e're struggling as is since my car wreck. especially with my sister now too sick to work. she went into congestive heart failure and on medicaid while we get enough doctor documentation and tests so she can either get well enough to work again or apply for disability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom