Is This The Truth?

I’ve looked at food charts before, and most of it seems correct except for beans. Beans are highly toxic for chickens. A specially kidney beans.
I believe this is only true of uncooked kidney beans. Mine eat cooked kidney beans in left over chili all the time and I’ve never heard of cooked beans being problematic

I have personally found that cherries (with pits) from on of my trees are regularly eaten to no ill effect. The cherries are small, but I often find the pits in their poop, and their poop turns a dark red/purple color.

I've had a couple hens sneak to one of the grapevines are steal seeded grapes. No issues either.

Avocado is given in flesh only. The seed and skin is supposededly toxic. Not like they can eat a giant, hard seed anyways?

I've offered small amount of raw onion and had no issues.

Whole apples are devoured when the season comes around.

I would never attempt to feed uncooked beans or rice, so only cooked versions are ever offered. Same with potatos! I boil the peel for them.

French fries ok. Long list but basically correct. Some are very bad for them like chocolate and a few are choking/bad for crop. They generally won't eat what is bad if free range but avoid chocolate and night shade plants.

I have a flock of around 40 hens and three roosters who would not agree with the notion that chickens should not be fed milk or dairy.

They look forward to left over milk, yogurt and sour cream. Back last year when I got 28 cases of USDA surplus milk, yogurt, sour cream and cheddar cheese (through the Farmers to Families program that my church sponsored) I was feeding my flock dairy every day for weeks on end. They still got their regular chick feed in a separate trough, of course, but the birds preferred the dairy.

Also, I am not sure I would feed my birds potatoes, pasta, rice or bread, unless food was scarce, and that was all I had to give them. There is little nutrition in those foods, and lots of empty calories.

But maybe that is just me.

Mine are supposed to eat mice so if I don't give them meat hopefully they'll find it.
Trust me. They do. The poor mice just keep squeaking while the chickens bach them on the ground whilst running away from all the other chickens who want to eat their mouse.
Once we had a rooster who had most of the mouse down his throat, and then, Flash, came up and ripped the tail out of his mouth. It was lovely. :sick

Trust me. They do. The poor mice just keep squeaking while the chickens bach them on the ground whilst running away from all the other chickens who want to eat their mouse.
Once we had a rooster who had most of the mouse down his throat, and then, Flash, came up and ripped the tail out of his mouth. It was lovely. :sick
Ok well that confirms it, hadn't seen it myself, but that was one reason I chose Buckeyes.

Back
Top Bottom