Is this what she says it is?

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
Interested in buying this hen. She said shes a buff/lavender orpington. I think the one on top is a roo and the one on bottom is a hen. What do u think??

How old? Then one on the bottom looks like it has slate colored legs so some sort of Easter Egger. It looks like a pullet though.

No. The top bird is a buff/splash mixed breed. Lavender not only dilutes black coloring to grey, but also red/gold feathering to a very pale yellow/white.
The bottom is a very mixed breed bird, possibly some Easter Egger and Polish in it.
Top is male, bottom is likely female.

I am semi new, but I got a lavender Americauna/EE and his

coloring looks nothing like that. They also had lavender orpingtons and they had the same coloring as him.

No. The top bird is a buff/splash mixed breed. Lavender not only dilutes black coloring to grey, but also red/gold feathering to a very pale yellow/white.
The bottom is a very mixed breed bird, possibly some Easter Egger and Polish in it.
Top is male, bottom is likely female.
x2 That bottom one looks like its got a lil bit of everything in it.

There are people who have tried that mix on here and you get black laced buff/brown or sometimes grey birds. Just do a search and it should pop up. To get blue and buff on a bird the rooster needs to be a splash and the hen a buff.

Those birds appear to be blue mixes (lavender, or self blue, and blue are easily confused). Lavender is recessive, which means it requires two copies to present, even if its just diluting another color. Blue does not breed true, you can get black (0 copies), blue (1 copy) and splash (2 copies). If it is blue, and not lav, that would account for the variance in color. My blue/buff crosses look very much like the birds you've posted.

So, essentially, I agree with junebuggena as well :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom