Is this what they mean by a "favorite nest box"? :)

lol....What happen to the "pecking order"?
D.gif

The ongoing war over that "perfect" nesting box is always so entertaining -- I love this thread!
Here are two of my frizzles brooding the same batch of eggs in a TINY box. I'm amazed they can stand sitting so close to one another, since the mother on the left is at the top of the pecking order, and the daughter on the right is near the bottom.

I should have taken a picture of the rooster sleeping in his hens' nesting box every night and unknowingly incubating the bait eggs....

We have the same issue....two are the favorite here.....I have never caught them stacked up though, very funny.....

I have a pearl white leghorn hen, actually two, that are broody, I gave them both eggs. One of them is sitting a Silkie egg, my silkie hen died yesterday in the nest box after laying an egg, so I gave the egg to the leghorn in hopes that it is fertile. Anyway, when the leghorn got up for her morning eat/drink/poo time, there was another brown egg laid in the box next to hers, she sat back down on it, leaving the silkie egg alone, I had to switch eggs....I thought about a curtain so she would know, but decided against it since the heat is so bad.....we think that is what killed my silkie hen.

How funny. My hens do the same thing. We have 36 free range hens with 10 boxes, and they all lay in about four or five of them depending on the day. It's crazy. One of my hens went into an occupied box; with about 5 open ones, laid an egg immediately and then left, quickly.

Your picture reminded me of this. It is so funny what hens will do.

That is great!!!! I am still in the design phase of my 'new' coop
big_smile.png
and I had intentions of doing 7 nest box's along one side... one 18" one14" and the rest 12" with dividers, for my 20 layers (still only 5 weeks old now)...with room to grow hehe....now I am thinking that I will make sure to keep the dividers removable...so if the decoy eggs dont work, I can just remove the panels and they wont have to struggle for room!...I had that in mind for my silkie coop...just in case they wanted to go broody together
hugs.gif

hey guys, i got my 2 Kabir hens with a huge Red Basilan rooster. I'm gonna experiment with these breeds eh.

Back
Top Bottom