Is "Triple Antibiotic Ointment Plus" safe to use on chicken's foot wound?

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
Just noticed a drop of blood on the doorstep of the ChickArena as my cream legbar stepped out for the day.
Am in the house gathering stuff to clean and treat it and bandage it. I'll bring her indoors to bath it in a basin of warm water and epsom salts. Will then be able to see the wound and find out if it's a new, clean, open cut or an old infected bumblefoot scab that's been loosened. If it's a bumble, I'll try to tease it out. Am planning to then dab it with hydrogen peroxide, then rinse it with warm water, then spray it with Vetericyn VF. Before I then cover it with a clean gauze pad and wrap it, I'd like to coat the wound with a bit of "Triple Antibiotic Ointment Plus". The box says it's a first aid antibiotic/pain relieving ointment. I know that pain relief items with a "...caine" suffix are not safe for chickens. But reading the active ingredients, I don't see where the pain relief agent is. The active ingredients are listed as, Bacitracin 500 units, Neomycin 3.5 mg, Polymyxin B 10,000 units, and Pramoxine hydrochloride 10 mg. Only inactive ingredient is Petrolatum. Is "Triple Antibiotic Ointment Plus" safe to use on chicken's foot wound?

Pamoxine is really pramocaine, so it does have "caine" in it. It is probably not that big of a deal to apply it once, but I would probably instead use betadine or Vetericyn until getting more plain ointment. You may find that you can't see a reason for the bleeding. I find blood spots on my roosts at least once or twice a week, and never find the source. They are pretty tough little animals, and don't usually need first aid for every little scratch. I would look at a comb or for a blood feather bleeding just in case.

Last edited:
Pamoxine is really pramocaine, so it does have "caine" in it. It is probably not that big of a deal to apply it once, but I would probably instead use betadine or Vetericyn until getting more plain ointment. You may find that you can't see a reason for the bleeding. I find blood spots on my roosts at least once or twice a week, and never find the source. They are pretty tough little animals, and don't usually need first aid for every little scratch. I would look at a comb or for a blood feather bleeding just in case.
Thank you so much!

FYI, it turned out to be her rear toe with the nail broken almost completely off. I snipped it off with a quick snip of a scissor. It was at the middle of an overly long nail, just where the blood vessel begins. I found a tube of plain triple antibiotic ointment and used that. The toe is now all bandaged up and she's back in the yard with nary a limp or any sign of discomfort. So, thanks again.

Toenails can get ripped off occasionally. Many times they don't grow back. I have only had it happen to one chicken, and she tore it partially off jumping on a chainlink fence. My girl limped for a week or so afterward.

Back
Top Bottom