Is turkey egg laying season over?

deeszoo

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
I had only one turkey hatch, and it doesn't look good for the other eggs. I don't want to raise a lone poult, though it seems rather happy at the moment with the chicks. I was wondering if laying season was already over in the midwest? I am in Kansas.

If anyone has any inexpensive turkey eggs or poults in my area, that would be good!! SE Kansas!!

Thanks,

Dee

I was told that turkeys usually lay starting in may for the longest then might stop and restart in the fall. I have had 1 keepable turkey egg in two months now the other 4-5 where soft shell or broke? I am in Washington though.

Good luck!

Mine stopped a couple of weeks ago
sad.png

my turkey hen is still laying eggs, this past week she was laying an egg every day. We have 28 eggs, 7 hatched already and 21 are still in the incubator. Still collecting, Now I wonder if she will lay longer than most. We have her in a dog kennel with the Tom and we have a visiting Tom, A wild one. When ever he walks away from her she chirps her little chirp and he come running back to her, only to be dissapointed in the fact that she is behind the fence!! OF course my Tom is having a cardiac arrest everytime the wild one is around. Then again my Tom gobbles everytime he hears a car door close. Not to bright that one.

I am getting a egg a day from most of my hens. I do have three that are sitting on eggs (so not laying) and one that seems to go ever other day with a double yolk egg. Darn her. I have 4 incubators full. I can't hatch as fast as they are laying. I do let the hens sit on the eggs when I don't have room as long as they are safe. We have not had hot weather yet. My oldest birds started laying in February. My fall turkeys just started laying in April. I am feeding a 30% protein turkey starter. I read that they now say to lower the protein to have a better hatch. I am afraid to do that since I think it is the extra protein that causes them to lay good. Try it and see if they do not go back to laying.

Back
Top Bottom