Is vaccinating worth it for me?

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
I have two pure bred hens that have been vaccinated with TRIPLEVAC
00ae.png
(against Newcastle - Bronchitis B1 Type, B1 Strain, Mass and Conn Types Live Virus) and one EE mutt I'm not sure about.

I will never have a flock bigger than 6 hens (except when growing out babies when it could get to 10)

I just had my first ever chick hatch (EE mutt's baby, hopefully two more to hatch) and am not sure whether to vaccinate. I've heard these diseases aren't common in small backyard flocks so am not sure. I also know that xbreeds/mutts tend to be tougher and less likely to get sick than pure breeds. I'd just like some opinions....

I do not believe vaccinating less than 10 birds is needed. However it is your decision. I vaccinated my flock of around 20 birds for Nc/B and fowl pox just to be safe.

If you won't be showing or adding to your flock from outside birds then vaccinating probably isn't worth it. Like the above poster said, it's usually not considered worth it in a small flock anyway. Again, it's your choice. My whole flock came from eggs I hatched other than the 3 hatchery ones that are 2 years old and none are vaccinated but I only have 12 birds, not counting the meaties.

Back
Top Bottom