ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

Ok you have a single combed hatchery type RIW I was thinking you had some of the rare "real" RIW that only come with the rose comb option.

But still all in all they must be dominant white from the results you've gotten with your experiments

looks fun enjoy them.

Ok you have a single combed hatchery type RIW I was thinking you had some of the rare "real" RIW that only come with the rose comb option.

But still all in all they must be dominant white from the results you've gotten with your experiments

looks fun enjoy them.

I do have Rose Comb RIW also. When you breed Rose Comb to Rose Comb there is still a chance you will get some Single Combs.

Forgive me if i'm misunderstanding this. All i want to know is if somebody could take a red bird and white bird to make something that looks like an ISA. I know there's nothing that can successfully duplicate it. I do not know if anything can visually imitate it. I just think paranoid- like, and worry I don't have the real thing.

Let me answer this, because this is an ISA Brown thread. You are concerned, if I understand it correctly, that someone might try and pawn off run-of-the-mill sex links as ISA Browns? I'm sad to say, it happens all the time. I have no idea why people aren't honest about it, but sadly, in too many cases, they are not. Why they think the ISA name lends them some marketing power or identity for their non-ISA birds is a mystery, but that is what people do. Sad and unnecessary.

Again, the ISA Brown, is a patented, commercial bird. Townline Hatchery, in Zeeland, MI is the only licensed seller that I know of. There may be more, but not too many. Commercial birds are carefully sold to protect the reputation of the genetics corporations that produce them. The ISA Brown is hardly the only such patented, commercial, brown egg layer out there. There are many others.

Last edited:
I do have Rose Comb RIW also. When you breed Rose Comb to Rose Comb there is still a chance you will get some Single Combs.
You shouldn't,
I have been breeding Rose and Single comb Reds for close to 10 years now and I have never had a Single Comb pop out of a RC/RC cross unless the Sire and Dam both received the Single comb gene from a Parents or Grandparents.

The other thing you have to watch is that some "breeders" are crossing a R.I. Red with a RC White Breed to "create" a White Rhode Island but it is not a true R.I. White since the R.I. Red and the R.I. White are two completely different breeds that just so happen to have Rhode Island in there name and have the same standard.
wink.png

There may be 3 or 4 breeders in the U.S. that have true R.I. Whites.

Chris

Let me answer this, because this is an ISA Brown thread. You are concerned, if I understand it correctly, that someone might try and pawn off run-of-the-mill sex links as ISA Browns? I'm sad to say, it happens all the time. I have no idea why people aren't honest about it, but sadly, in too many cases, they are not. Why they think the ISA name lends them some marketing power or identity for their non-ISA birds is a mystery, but that is what people do. Sad and unnecessary.

Again, the ISA Brown, is a patented, commercial bird. Townline Hatchery, in Zeeland, MI is the only licensed seller that I know of. There may be more, but not too many. Commercial birds are carefully sold to protect the reputation of the genetics corporations that produce them. The ISA Brown is hardly the only such patented, commercial, brown egg layer out there. There are many others.
I think that a lot of the people and some hatcheries don't know any better and they think the the term ISA is just another name for a sex-link. Which we know couldn't be any farther from the truth.

Chris

Last edited:
The ISA Brown, is a patented, commercial bird. Townline Hatchery, in Zeeland, MI is the only licensed seller.
I did some research on this and Townline Hatchery is the only licensed seller in the US of ISA Browns. Many so called hatcheries that may sell ISA Browns, get them shipped from Townline Hatchery. A BYC's member works at Townline Hatchery and also confirmed it to me. I have purchased many Isa Brown chicks in the past from Townline. They are my best layers of very large brown eggs.

tlcollins13, it would nearly impossible to tell, just by looking, even if the photos were outstanding. They look terrific, btw, so I wouldn't be concerned. If your source was a feed store? Someone would have to know where that feed store sources their chicks. If your source was a small time breeder, I'd say the odds are virtually zip.

I'd enjoy what I have and not worry about it. In a year or two or three, you can order from Townlne and know for certain, if it is important to you.

tlcollins13, it would nearly impossible to tell, just by looking, even if the photos were outstanding. They look terrific, btw, so I wouldn't be concerned. If your source was a feed store? Someone would have to know where that feed store sources their chicks. If your source was a small time breeder, I'd say the odds are virtually zip.

I'd enjoy what I have and not worry about it. In a year or two or three, you can order from Townlne and know for certain, if it is important to you.
I got them from a lady who got them from a breeder, so who knows....
Even if they aren't ISA's, I'm sure they'll still be great chickens.

Hey ya'll some of my pullets have started laying, and the eggs are great. I have 2 that are bigger than the rest, and acting more aggressively. Do the roosters look similar to the hens, or are they white like most of the pictures I've seen?

Back
Top Bottom