ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
want to start a isa-brown page, don't think there is one yet. please feel free to post pics of your eggs, birds, coops etc.

somehow i was lucky enough to come across nearly 3 dozen pullets. i'd love to find a rooster to mate them with. is it true that the rooster is ?red and the hen white? or does it matter as long as youve got one of each color? ive got a RIR cockerel for when they all get of age.
If you try to breed Isa Browns to anything, they will not breed true. I have tried it and I came out with white, black, and brown and white combinations for both sexes. I had some cockerels that had the same color as the female Isa's. Here is a picture of some that hatched out from my Isa Browns.

Here are some of the same chicks a little older.

These are all male chicks The white chicks are the Isa Brown males. Also some BOs and RIRs.

The top right side are some of my Isa Brown hens.
There are some of the Buff Orpington, Isa Brown and RIR pullets in the bottom left side of the picture.

Now I have been breeding my RIR rooster to my RIW hens. The male chicks are white like the hens and the female chicks look like the Isa Brown color.

I also did an experimental breeding Delaware hens to a RIR rooster. The female chicks looked like the RIR rooster and the male chicks were white like the Delaware hens. I put those pullets from that breeding in with one of my RIR roosters and all of the chicks from that next breeding hatched out looking like the RIRs, both male and female. You can't really tell them apart from the other RIRs except they are a little lighter in color more like a Production Red and have yellow legs with no brown on the front of the legs and on the toes like the RIRs do.

Last edited:
I got my Isa Browns from Townline hatchery. All of the chicks despite being an extra day in transit arrived well, all healthy.

I am looking to start my backyard flock and need relatively quite birds. Would you consider ISA Browns to be a quite strain? My neighbors are not really keen on my chicken enterprise. I am looking to have good egg production, friendly and quite chickens as to be a good neighbor. Will IAS's fill the bill?

Thanks

How many do you plan to have? I just found a childes play set at Sams club that I am going to modify for my backyard coop. I think 4 maybe 5 birds tops with a run. But it is well built and looks cutie and not very expensive. Just brought it home today and have not started assembling it yet. Do you know if ISA's are quiet?

How many do you plan to have? I just found a childes play set at Sams club that I am going to modify for my backyard coop. I think 4 maybe 5 birds tops with a run. But it is well built and looks cutie and not very expensive. Just brought it home today and have not started assembling it yet. Do you know if ISA's are quiet?

I have ISA Browns. They sing when they lay their eggs. There are some older threads by people who have bought playhouses and modified them for their birds.

Quote:
There are a few hatcheries that sell ISA Browns. The hatchery that actually breeds the ISA Browns is Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, Michigan. The hatcheries that sell ISA Browns get them from Townline. Here is a guide of what breeds are used for the various Sex Links.

For the matings to work the physical characteristic must be carried on one of the sex chromosome - thus the term ‘sex-linked’- and the correct male and female breeds should be selected. For example, a Delaware female mated to a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red male is a sex-link cross where the males will have the Delaware feather pattern of the mother, and females will have a solid red feather pattern similar to their father. If, however, you mate a Delaware male with a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red female, all the offspring will have the same Delaware feather pattern.

The Black sex-links (also known as Rock Reds) are produced by crossing the Barred Plymouth Rock hen with a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster. At hatch both sexes have black down, but the males can be identified by the white dot on their heads. As previously indicated, males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers, while females feather out solid black with some red in the neck feathers.

Golden Comet, Gold Star, or Cinnamon Queen depending on the specific cross used) are produced by a number of different crosses. White Plymouth Rocks hens with the silver factor are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Gold Comet. A Silver Laced Wynandotte hen is crossed with a New Hampshire rooster to produce the Cinnamon Queen. Additional possible Red Sex Link cross combinations are the Rhode Island White hen and a Rhode Island Red rooster which produce a male that will hatch out white and can feather out to pure white or with some black feathering and the females Redish color with white on the tail feathers and maybe around the neck. A Delaware hen with a Rhode Island Red rooster. Males hatch out looking like the Delawares depending on the cross. Females hatch out red like the Rhode Island Red male. Coloring will depend on the cross, and they how they feather out. In the breedings the males can be either New Hampshire Red or Rhode Island Red, most use Rhode Island Reds.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response.
thumbsup.gif
I have updated my Sig..

Quote:
Not really, what happens is that they force them to lay about 330 eggs per year, this can take a toll on any chickens if they were able to do the same feat.. now add to that the fact most of their lives is spent on small cages, then you may short the lives of any bird, now if you were to give them the chance to live normal chicken lives, they would live as long as normal chickens hens do, but I hardly see a 2 year old hen(except mine) living that long, they go to freezer camp sooner than that..

Back
Top Bottom