ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

This is my ISA Brown Daisy! She's my favorite . She always comes running to me and follows me around the yard. She's very interested to see what I am doing. She's also the first one to eat out of my hand and go for the treats ( veggie scraps) I throw out in the yard. She's actually bigger now, just haven't gotten a more recent pic. I just love her!!
love.gif

The ISA Brown is a hybrid type of Sex Link chicken,thought to have been the result of crossing Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. The ISA Brown is a hybrid, not a true breed, developed by breeding unrelated "dam" and "sire" lines together until the final ISA Brown result. It is known for its high egg production of approximately 300 eggs per hen in the first year of laying.

ISA stands for Institut de Sélection Animale, the company which developed the hybrid in 1978 for egg production as a battery hen. In 1997, the ISA Group merged with Merck & Co., forming Hubbard ISA, so the hybrid is sometimes called Hubbard Isa Brown. In 2005, Institut de Sélection Animale (ISA) and Hendrix Poultry Breeders (HPB) merged in ISA B.V., which also became part of the multi-species breeding company, Hendrix Genetics. In March 2005, Hubbard was purchased from Merial Ltd by Group Grimaud La Corbiere, SA.

Just got 6 Isa Browns chick about two and Half weeks ago. They were a week old when we got the, They are growing extremely fast and need to know at what week can they go into a coop??? We are about a week away from coop being totally done.
We are new to chickens
Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
I put my chicks in the grow out coop when they are a few days old. I don't know where you live and what your temperatures are like. I do put a heat lamp on for them at night when it cools off. I am currently renovating my grow out coop and have chicks due to hatch in just over 2 weeks. JUst make sure the pop door is closed a let them get used to the coop. Also, all feeding is inside my coop and it also keeps the feed dry in case of rain but also to get them used to going into the coop so when you want them in when they get a bit older it's not so hard to get them into the coop at night. I leave a night light on in all of my coops. I don't have any problems with getting them all into the coops in the evenings.

Last edited:
somehow i was lucky enough to come across nearly 3 dozen pullets. i'd love to find a rooster to mate them with. is it true that the rooster is ?red and the hen white? or does it matter as long as youve got one of each color? ive got a RIR cockerel for when they all get of age.

somehow i was lucky enough to come across nearly 3 dozen pullets. i'd love to find a rooster to mate them with. is it true that the rooster is ?red and the hen white? or does it matter as long as youve got one of each color? ive got a RIR cockerel for when they all get of age.

The ISA Brown is a 4 way cross, where 4 grand parent birds are used that results in a red rooster used over silver(white) hen to produce the sex linked chicks, pullets being brown and cockerels being white. This bird is patented, like many commercial strains are and the genetics are closely guarded.

Your idea of using a RIR cockerel over them is a good idea. We actually bred ISA to ISA for a few generations. If you're interested, you can read more here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/660815/breeding-sex-links-third-generation

Townline Hatchery, Zeeland, MI is the only licensed US breeder/seller of ISA Browns, that I am aware of. They do show photos of the parent stock on their website. The rooster is obviously a mix of RIR blood, but there's likely brown leghorn as well. The hen is a white bird and hard to identify the genetics, by type.

Since the strain has been selectively bred for over 30 years. There's a lot of research behind the strain. Here's the "owners manual" from ISA Genetics for commercial hen houses. I have found it interesting reading. http://www.morrishatchery.com/mngmt_guides/ISA Brown Guide-Nov. 3,2010.pdf

Back
Top Bottom