ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

. Blue got ahold of a cupcake!
Bahahaha
welcome-byc.gif
Aren't chickens funny?

One of my ISA's, Penny, is 29 weeks old and still hasn't laid. Her comb turned red first and we were sure she was going to start laying when she was 17 wks. She was also the first of our girls to squat for us. We have a light in the the coop so they are getting 12-14 hours of light a day and all the other girls are laying. Any explinations to why she's not laying?

I have 2 isa brown a light brahma,New Jersey giant, and rir. It seems my isa are the only ones that lay large eggs all the other eggs are half the size and my giant doesn't lay

One of my ISA's, Penny, is 29 weeks old and still hasn't laid. Her comb turned red first and we were sure she was going to start laying when she was 17 wks. She was also the first of our girls to squat for us. We have a light in the the coop so they are getting 12-14 hours of light a day and all the other girls are laying. Any explinations to why she's not laying?
Have you searched around to see if she may have a hiding place where she is laying eggs?

I have 2 isa brown a light brahma,New Jersey giant, and rir. It seems my isa are the only ones that lay large eggs all the other eggs are half the size and my giant doesn't lay
How old are your birds. It is that time of the year where some breeds either slow way down or quit for the winter with their egg production. My ISA's were good layers year around of nice large eggs but that is what they were originally developed for as commercial brown egg producers.

She could be either a late bloomer or very good at hiding her eggs. They will hide eggs under bushes and places you never think of. I let my birds roam our pasture during the day. I have several coops so I usually let the birds from one of the coops out and rotate every day. I have found eggs buried in my blueberry patch under the pine needles we have on the ground, also in our asparagus patch buried in the asparagus and in some in the hay in our barn.

I am thinking about ordering 100 isa browns for my new coop i am having built. Are they more aggressive than other sexlinks? i have had sexlinks in the past that were very cannibalistic. 12 in a run big enough for 50 and they were still killing. The current golden sexlinks I have came from a different hatchery with better stock I believe and do pick on each other a little but nothing like those killers I had. I do have more chicken this time around though. Seemed to break up the pecking order the more you have. I replace my flock every 2-3 years, so im thinking about some isa's. I could have them debeaked but it freaks customers that are buying eggs out.

I am thinking about ordering 100 isa browns for my new coop i am having built. Are they more aggressive than other sexlinks? i have had sexlinks in the past that were very cannibalistic. 12 in a run big enough for 50 and they were still killing. The current golden sexlinks I have came from a different hatchery with better stock I believe and do pick on each other a little but nothing like those killers I had. I do have more chicken this time around though. Seemed to break up the pecking order the more you have. I replace my flock every 2-3 years, so im thinking about some isa's. I could have them debeaked but it freaks customers that are buying eggs out.
I have had ISA Brown in the past and they were great birds. I still have 2 but they are several years old. I bought them from Townline Hatchery in Zeeland Michigan. I live in Florida. They did get delayed a day in shipping but all made it. I never put 100 birds in one pen. I did have a couple of males for an experiment. I have RSL and to look at them they look alike. I did band the ISA's just so I could tell them apart. This picture is several years old now and those birds are all gone. I have different birds in those pens and have added more coops and pens since it was taken. The only mean male I ever had was one of my RSL males. He didn't last long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom