ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

Quote:
Hey Alan, Long time no see or hear. my ISA friend... Alieda

This thread ended June '12 so don't know if I'll get any action but here goes. My friend has ISAs and is thrilled with them, says their eggs are so big they don't fit in the cartons. Nobody mentioned that in this thread. Perhaps hers are exceptional? Hers don't molt or take a vacation from laying, yet. Of ourse she has only 9 and spoils them with organic meat, ff and sprouts to make sure their protein level stays high. I am a "pet chicken" type with only 10 birds right now so want pretty ones that lay diff color eggs when possible. The ISA is a rather nondescript hen from what I can tell in the pictures. Are their eggs mostly above average in size? Anybody out there following this thread?? THX
You bet, There are quite a few. We may not post all that much but we look and see.

Hi! My ISA browns have been laying for about a month now and just a few days ago Dorothy laid an egg that was HUGE! It didn't fit in the egg carton and it had two yolks! I can't say if this is "normal" for the breed as this is my first year with chickens but I can definitely attest that one of my ISA browns has laid VERY large eggs! And maybe I'm just biased but I don't think this breed is nondescript, they're really pretty. :) Just look at this face! hehe.

Hi! My ISA browns have been laying for about a month now and just a few days ago Dorothy laid an egg that was HUGE! It didn't fit in the egg carton and it had two yolks! I can't say if this is "normal" for the breed as this is my first year with chickens but I can definitely attest that one of my ISA browns has laid VERY large eggs! And maybe I'm just biased but I don't think this breed is nondescript, they're really pretty. :) Just look at this face! hehe.

I agree, she is pretty!

I agree, she is pretty!

Venetian, I'm told they have many names: production red, red star, red sex link, gold star, gold sex link, and ISA browns. Is there a difference? I want to be sure and buy the ones that lay the huge eggs. All the hatcherys say they are the same thing, but I doubt it. THX

Ok so yesterday morning I found two eggs in one nesting box. I only have one hen laying right now that I know of. Do you think they are both from her? Or do you think another one started laying?

One is significantly smaller

Ok so yesterday morning I found two eggs in one nesting box. I only have one hen laying right now that I know of. Do you think they are both from her? Or do you think another one started laying?
One is significantly smaller

You have a second layer. Most pullets when they first start laying, lay smaller pullet size eggs.

Venetian, I'm told they have many names: production red, red star, red sex link, gold star, gold sex link, and ISA browns. Is there a difference? I want to be sure and buy the ones that lay the huge eggs. All the hatcherys say they are the same thing, but I doubt it. THX

I really have no idea! I'm new to chickens and got these two from a lady near me who has been raising chickens for years and years and years. From what I understand, though, you can't really breed ISA's yourself because they're a specific hybrid and can only be bought from suppliers. I didn't ask her where she got hers. :( Sorry! Since Dorothy and Blanche have begun laying, though, neither have missed a day and the eggs are very large!

We have had 3 different "Red Stars" purchased from different hatcheries and all of them have at one time laid double yolk eggs which is the very large eggs people are posting pictures of.

Generally I would try to find a chicken that will reliably produce eggs year round which would be any of the red star hybrids but probably avoid the ones crossed with Delaware chickens as the white breed. I look to find Red Stars that are a cross of Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White as they are more likely to be like the Warren brown/ISA brown hen at least by my thought process anyhow.

Quote:
There are a few hatcheries that sell ISA Browns. The hatchery that actually breeds the ISA Browns is Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, Michigan. The hatcheries that sell ISA Browns get them from Townline. Here is a guide of what breeds are used for the various Sex Links.

For the matings to work the physical characteristic must be carried on one of the sex chromosome - thus the term ‘sex-linked’- and the correct male and female breeds should be selected. For example, a Delaware female mated to a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red male is a sex-link cross where the males will have the Delaware feather pattern of the mother, and females will have a solid red feather pattern similar to their father. If, however, you mate a Delaware male with a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red female, all the offspring will have the same Delaware feather pattern.

The Black sex-links (also known as Rock Reds) are produced by crossing the Barred Plymouth Rock hen with a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster. At hatch both sexes have black down, but the males can be identified by the white dot on their heads. As previously indicated, males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers, while females feather out solid black with some red in the neck feathers.

Golden Comet, Gold Star, or Cinnamon Queen depending on the specific cross used) are produced by a number of different crosses. White Plymouth Rocks hens with the silver factor are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Gold Comet. A Silver Laced Wynandotte hen is crossed with a New Hampshire rooster to produce the Cinnamon Queen. Additional possible Red Sex Link cross combinations are the Rhode Island White hen and a Rhode Island Red rooster which produce a male that will hatch out white and can feather out to pure white or with some black feathering and the females Redish color with white on the tail feathers and maybe around the neck. A Delaware hen with a Rhode Island Red rooster. Males hatch out looking like the Delawares depending on the cross. Females hatch out red like the Rhode Island Red male. Coloring will depend on the cross, and they how they feather out. In the breedings the males can be either New Hampshire Red or Rhode Island Red, most use Rhode Island Reds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom