ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

How many do you plan to have? I just found a childes play set at Sams club that I am going to modify for my backyard coop. I think 4 maybe 5 birds tops with a run. But it is well built and looks cutie and not very expensive. Just brought it home today and have not started assembling it yet. Do you know if ISA's are quiet?

I have ISA Browns. They sing when they lay their eggs. There are some older threads by people who have bought playhouses and modified them for their birds.

Hi everyone! I also love this breed, it has been our most productive and favorite hen by far.

I was wondering if anyone knows which breeders offer true ISA browns and which are selling other types of red sex links not using the rhode island white in the cross? Is there a way to tell based on color? It seems that the true ISA browns are the real heavy producers and I would want to make sure I get those instead of some other red sex link when I order chicks in the future.

Hi everyone! I also love this breed, it has been our most productive and favorite hen by far.

I was wondering if anyone knows which breeders offer true ISA browns and which are selling other types of red sex links not using the rhode island white in the cross? Is there a way to tell based on color? It seems that the true ISA browns are the real heavy producers and I would want to make sure I get those instead of some other red sex link when I order chicks in the future.

Basicly there is no sure fire way to know, all you can do is check the hatchery's reputation to figure out if they are going to try to cheat you.

EDIT I just had a thought, you could try contacting ISA and asking who they sell to.

I believe they are the only licensed hatchery in the us to offer the real ISA brown developed by Hendrix genetics ,, I think

I find it unlikely that ISA only supplies one hatchery in the US. As a breeding company ISA is in business to sell as many parent stock breeders as possible.

Last edited:
Basicly there is no sure fire way to know, all you can do is check the hatchery's reputation to figure out if they are going to try to cheat you.

EDIT I just had a thought, you could try contacting ISA and asking who they sell to.

I find it unlikely that ISA only supplies one hatchery in the US. As a breeding company ISA is in business to sell as many parent stock breeders as possible.

The hen we picked up from the feed store here I am 95% sure would be ISA brown, she is an egg laying machine, started around 17 weeks old and laid 89 of her first 90 days, had a very very quick molt which she started laying again when she was half way through it and rarely takes a day off even at 2 years old. Problem is our feed store buys red sex links from 2 different breeders and back then I didn't pay attention to that kind of detail. Our new red star is shaping up to be an excellent layer too, started around 20 weeks old and has only missed 1 or 2 days so far.

I believe they are the only licensed hatchery in the us to offer the real ISA brown developed by Hendrix genetics ,, I think

I think you are correct. Other hatcheries that offer ISA Browns, get them from Townline Hatchery. One of the hatchery employees is a BYC member who gave me the information. I have bought many ISA Browns from Townline Hatchery. I have 4 and 5 year old that are still laying pretty much every day.

I think you are correct. Other hatcheries that offer ISA Browns, get them from Townline Hatchery. One of the hatchery employees is a BYC member who gave me the information. I have bought many ISA Browns from Townline Hatchery. I have 4 and 5 year old that are still laying pretty much every day.
well I have a lilitle inside info on ISA and Hendrix genetics , here in costa rica the commercial egg industry is dominated by brown eggs ISA is the largest producer in the country in 2001 they were givin permission to build hatcherys and grow out facility's and import 10000 eggs from their operation in France and Spain their ISA brow is now the primary commercial layer in the country . In the U.S the primary market for commercial eggs are for white eggs where the ISA brown takes a back seat in commercial value ISA and Hendrix demand a six figure licensing fee and very large minimum orders of parent stock to comercial hatchery operators this being said I am certain there are more hatcheries in the U.S that breed and hatch the ISA brown strictly for commercial battery hen operations and offer no outlet for true stock to the general puplic , townline is a Hendrix licensee and offers true ISA stock to the general puplic this is the overflow that are not being sold to the Michigan Ohio and indianna mega farms producing brown eggs for the commercial egg market , ISA browns are a patented product and cannot be bread and sold from a non licensed supplier ,,, nuff said Fat fingers small iPhone lol

welcome-byc.gif
You are correct, but for the families that want backyard flocks, Townline is the only hatchery I know of licensed for producing ISA Browns and that many other hatcheries get their chicks from Townline. You are also correct that the ISA Brown is the largest producer of commercial brown eggs. They are certainly laying machines. Even my 4 and 5 year old's rarely skip a day. I put some of the older birds in a separate pen to see how they were laying and I was pleasantly surprised of how well they were still laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom