ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

:welcome You are correct, but for the families that want backyard flocks, Townline is the only hatchery I know of licensed for producing ISA Browns and that many other hatcheries get their chicks from Townline. You are also correct that the ISA Brown is the largest producer of commercial brown eggs. They are certainly laying machines. Even my 4 and 5 year old's rarely skip a day. I put some of the older birds in a separate pen to see how they were laying and I was pleasantly surprised of how well they were still laying.
yea cmon they are a amazing hybrid , they set the standard that others are judged by I have done extensive reading on them and have visited ISA battery barns here in costa rica ISA does offer pullets for sale here with a 500 chick min the ISA was the primary reason for me to attemp my own sex link layer here but I can not get close to the numbers of the ISA my past two breedings have produced a great lil sex link layer and I have made a improvement as the few of my new girls have started to put down eggs at 15 weeks where my first brood at 18 still respectible for a novice breeder as I am but I am bringing in some new stock to add this month to my Hampshire flock to bolster size and egg production so only time will tell if I get it right but I am having allot of fun with it,,, I also want to add the fact that I have hatched my first two crosses without mechanical incubators and have been reliant on my Silkie hens for hatching and brooding kinda old school but fun none the less I will be bringing back a hova 1588 this next trip

Quote:
I have been breeding my Rhode Island White girls to my Rhode Island Red boys and getting nice Red Sex Links that lays nice large eggs as are good layers too. I have used broody's too but most of the time I just put the eggs in the incubator. I did some experiments with 2nd, 3rd and so on generation of breeding my ISA Browns. With each generation more and more the white gene came out. I eventually bred my white girls from some generations back to a RIR boy and the chicks reverted back to the RSL. Here are some pictures. I knew they wouldn't breed true but is was fun...

Last edited:
That's great I have been working on a fourway , at the moment I am breeding my w leghorn to my silver wyandott hens trying to breed out the Dom white and add the silver gene to improve egg production but the Dom white seems to keep coming back instead of going the other way I want to boost the egg out put of my sex link layer buy introducing the leg horn but I just have not got there yet so I'm going to add to my red line this year by breeding some German line hampsire in to my stock and replace the roo I have been using with the German /American line I'm going to create ,,, if my hatch goes as planed I'm bringing eggs back this month along with a 1588 with turner it will be my first incubator hatch I will be happy to produce a few breeding trios of each breed this hatch that will be six out of 42 if all goes well ,,, fingers crossed !

Finally I run into another chicken crazy fowl that share my vision to reproduce the ISA brown in the back yard ,,, lol it's been a obsession with me for a few years now if I was still living in the states it would be so much more simple to obtain the stock and supplies needed but all the brick walls I run into and work arounds have just added to the fun

Looks like a good plan. Please post progress reports. It will be interesting. My RIW"s are very good layers and so is my RIR's. I did do a Delaware female to RIR male. The female chicks looked like the RIR father and the males like the Del mother. When I did my second generation breeding I used the RIR male and the chicks came out looking like the RIR's but females did have some black ticking on the tips of their feathers and most were females. Some of my RSL girls got into the pen with my Rose Comb Rhode Island White male. Some of the chicks came out black and many chicks with similar marking as a Sex Link male so I have quite a few mutts, some Single Comb and some Rose Comb. I am keeping them just to see how they turn out. Good luck with your breeding program and have fun...

What breed of female did you use? Your Leghorn's? They look very much like mine from my RIW/RIR crossing. Here are a few of the pullets.

here is both gens of my project, back ground pullet is 15 weeks forground is 18 the second gen improvement started putting down eggs this week a three week increase in early production i call them my costa rican comet lol

Back
Top Bottom