ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

first cross nh over slw. second same roo (curently my best after 3 culls) over slw/delaware cross hen, theses are the improved early producers a three way cross with exelent sex linking red pullets white/silver cockerels i have not perfected my four way parent stock with addition of the leghorn i can not get the dom white to regress still working on it, this trip will see a improvement to my red stock with the german line hatching eggs coming down this trip ,

first cross nh over slw. second same roo (curently my best after 3 culls) over slw/delaware cross hen, theses are the improved early producers a three way cross with exelent sex linking red pullets white/silver cockerels i have not perfected my four way parent stock with addition of the leghorn i can not get the dom white to regress still working on it, this trip will see a improvement to my red stock with the german line hatching eggs coming down this trip ,

I am very interested in your riw cmom any pics of your parent stock ? You say they are good producers ? Close to that of a leghorn ? Strong silver genome ? Got me thinking ,,,, lol

Last edited:
I have both RC RIW's and SC RIW's. I don't think they will out lay the Leghorns but they are still very good layers. I also have Heritage RIR's. I show the RC RIW's and the HRIR's. I haven't gotten Grand Champion yet but working on it. I have gotten Best of Breed and Best Variety and Reserve Breed and Reserve Variety.

Some of my SC RIW's

One of my RC RIW show boys.

One of my RC RIW show girls.

Here is a mixture of pullets, Heritage RIR, RSL, and RC RIW's. Sadly an owl killed all
but 2 of these white girls. A fox killed some of the HRIR's.

Here are some of my SC RIW's, Heritage RIR's and RSL's

Very very nice I had not considers riw in my project but intriguing just the same, I had been looking for Plymouth white rock eggs with a strong silver geneom but was unable to locate any quality hatching eggs last year when I started. I have heard from others interested in the same goal as ours that the leg horn Plymouth cross will regress the Dom white with the stronger silver of the Plymouth taking front seat in the parent stock moving forward with successive breeding I don't know if this holds true as I have not been able to locate the correct pwr stock to try my attempts to breed out the Dom white of the leghorn have been unsucssefull to date. I know it can be done as we see Hendrix has done with the ISA brown

Very very nice I had not considers riw in my project but intriguing just the same, I had been looking for Plymouth white rock eggs with a strong silver geneom but was unable to locate any quality hatching eggs last year when I started. I have heard from others interested in the same goal as ours that the leg horn Plymouth cross will regress the Dom white with the stronger silver of the Plymouth taking front seat in the parent stock moving forward with successive breeding I don't know if this holds true as I have not been able to locate the correct pwr stock to try my attempts to breed out the Dom white of the leghorn have been unsucssefull to date. I know it can be done as we see Hendrix has done with the ISA brown

I'm not sure what you mean what Hendrix has done, ISAs have dominant white.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct the leghorn is the key in the cross that gives them there exponetional output but the white color gene needs to be at a level not to interfear with the sex linking color gene if your parent stock is carrying the white gene as the dominant factor it will interfear with good sex link coloration at hatch thus the goal is to introduce the leghorn for it's egg laying characteristic but not it's color. The parent stock we need to breed is a fourway cross that is a true Dom silver to obtain true sex linking at hatch .

Bird that carry white as the dominate color should not be used to cross for sex link hybrids they will not be sexable at hatch silver is the key ,,,

[/quote syerf , white is not dominet in the ISA brown the white leghorn was used in the cross but the white is bread down to a level that it takes a back seat to the silver gene that we try to propagate for a solid sex link pullet at hatch

Chicken Genetics 101

The dominant white is used in sex linked crosses (silgo cross) to eliminate any black color in the down- this allows for the red to fully express itself in the down of the female chicks. With out the dominant white, the black pigments can cover the red pigments. White leghorns (Wl) are black under the dominant white. If a person crosses a Wl with almost any variety of bird the offspring from the cross will be black under the dominant white. The WL carries black pigment producing genes that are dominant or epistatic over the genes found in almost all other none-white varieties of fowl.

A white chick could have red down but the black covers the red and the white covers the black- so you end up with a white chick. The key is to eliminate the genes that produce a black chick this leaves the red to be expressed through the white.

The dominant white gene does not effect the red color in the down of gold chicks. It only inhibits the expression of black in the down of the chicks. Some heterozygous chicks ( they only carry one dominant white gene) will have white down with very small black patches.

To use white leghorns to boost the egg production and at the same time produce a male gold side and a female silver side of a silgo cross would require some time and effort to produce.

Dominant white can be used in red sex- linked crosses- it can not be used in a black sex linked cross. In my article on sex linked crosses- I suggest not to use white birds because a person never knows the color under the white. Birds that are black under the white can not be used in a red sex linked cross. White leghorns are black under the white.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom