ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

The girls

Izzy is my favorite of all our chickens, she loves to snuggle :)

This little Easter Egger thinks she's an ISA too. We have 5 different breeds of chicken, including Easter Eggers, but she's pretty sure she's an ISA and goes wherever they go :)

Chasing a bug haha!

I have a RC RIW boy and when he was young he just loved to be picked up and cuddled but now he is a big boy and doesn't care for it any more. I can still pick him up but he would prefer I didn't. My ISA's could care less. Pick me up if you must.

I've a question about the ISA Brown's "older" years. I tend to keep spent hens, but I've heard mixed things about the quality of life of ISA brown's after 2 years of age. How is their health? Laying?(I don't expect them to be even close to peak). And how is their general disposition?

I've a question about the ISA Brown's "older" years. I tend to keep spent hens, but I've heard mixed things about the quality of life of ISA brown's after 2 years of age. How is their health? Laying?(I don't expect them to be even close to peak). And how is their general disposition?
Chickens can live 10-15 years, a good healthy life. Yes they're laying decreases after two seasons but you'll still get eggs for a few years, just not as frequently. Unless the chicken is ill, suffering from issues and/or has a decreased quality of life, then you may consider the alternative.

I recently put some of my older ISA girls in a separate pen. My DH and I wanted to know if they were laying and how well or should they go to freezer camp. To our surprise they were still laying pretty well and these birds are all around 5 years old. we are getting 4 to 5 eggs a week per bird.

When I hear the term "spent hen" I immediately think of a hen from a large scale egg operation that uses those ludicrously small cages. Those hens are well and truly spent due to their environment and the toll it takes on their bodies. A hen raised in a pen or free range will be of much much much better health!

Or ISA or red sex link (not entirely sure if we got a true ISA brown or not) has laid so many eggs we feel she has earned her chicken retirement. She is over 2 years old and still lays a lot of very large eggs, more than most of our other younger chickens. Ours are mostly pets anyhow but we do cycle our chickens out when they get to 1.5-2 years old we list them for sale.

All my hens are free range and I know the ages and average fall of egg laying.

Let me be more specific;

I am asking specifically for the ISA as far as their health beyond those years as I have heard they are prone to several health concerns compared to other breeds. So how is their health after their peak production years? I've also heard of the ISA becoming more touchy as it gets older. How is their personality throughout their life stages?

My ISA's are pretty laid back. When they see me they come running to great me and I have to be careful I don't trip over them. I have about 40 that are 4/5 years old. They have shrunk like people do when they get older. My DH remarked how they have gotten smaller. They always have food and water available to them. Each coop has a 40# feeder I keep full. They do free range. There personality is each chicken in an individual and some like to be held and others don't. They are not flighty and are somewhat adventurers. Most of my other breeds are content just to be out in the pasture but the ISA's like to go into to the barn investigate everything and poop. When I see them in there I shoo them out. I keep the hay in a big hay box as they like to scratch around in it then I have hay spread everywhere. My birds do not seem to have any special health issues that are different form my other birds. That is my experience with my birds. Not sure if it is the information you are looking for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom