ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

I love my isas!!! Only thing is that one of them lays only twice a week!! Sometimes shelless :/ too! Otherwise healthy!! Thoughts? :/

I love my isas!!! Only thing is that one of them lays only twice a week!! Sometimes shelless
hmm.png
too! Otherwise healthy!! Thoughts?
hmm.png

Do you give them free choice oyster shells? It may not make her lay better but will make the shells strong. Some chickens don't absorb the vitamins in the feed too well and may need a supplement.

Do you give them free choice oyster shells? It may not make her lay better but will make the shells strong. Some chickens don't absorb the vitamins in the feed too well and may need a supplement.
Correct. I'd also like to add it would be a good idea to buy some bird grit which you can usually get at most shops. Oyster shell can also be known as soluble grit, and makes eggs more firm and stronger.

My ISA Brown with my Orpingtons. She is replacing one of my Orpingtons we lost. She laid 2 eggs on her first day with us

Are you sure that is an ISA Brown? She looks more like a Production Red from the pic.
hide.gif
After looking more closely at the pic, I can see the white on the tail a little above your BO's tail.

Here are my ISA Browns with my Buff Orpingtons..

Last edited:
Where I purchased her they told me the bought the chicks from the ISA Brown breeder in Michigan. They had 48 hens to choose from and they were in many shades of brown some were almost a buff.

Where I purchased her they told me the bought the chicks from the ISA Brown breeder in Michigan. They had 48 hens to choose from and they were in many shades of brown some were almost a buff.

There is a breeder in Zeeland, Michigan, Townline Hatchery. As far as I know they are the only breeders in the US. There are other hatcheries that sell ISA Browns. They get their chicks from Townline Hatchery as far as I know.

Those of you with experience with ISA browns, what kind of egg shell color do you typically get? Our first two were fairly dark egg shells compared to all of our other brown egg layers but my latest one is a medium color brown on her first real egg (first two were soft shelled).

I was really hoping to breed ISA browns back to my mixed Ameraucana roo successively in order to get more of a olive egg color but I am not sure it would be worth the trouble with her laying a medium to light brown egg. Hopefully these were just oops eggs considering the first two were soft nearly shell-less and very light color.

Last edited:
Those of you with experience with ISA browns, what kind of egg shell color do you typically get? Our first two were fairly dark egg shells compared to all of our other brown egg layers but my latest one is a medium color brown on her first real egg (first two were soft shelled).

I was really hoping to breed ISA browns back to my mixed Ameraucana roo successively in order to get more of a olive egg color but I am not sure it would be worth the trouble with her laying a medium to light brown egg. Hopefully these were just oops eggs considering the first two were soft nearly shell-less and very light color.

Here is a picture of eggs from my birds.

Back
Top Bottom