ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

There are a few hatcheries that sell ISA Browns. The hatchery that actually breeds the ISA Browns is Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, Michigan. The hatcheries that sell ISA Browns get them from Townline. Here is a guide of what breeds are used for the various Sex Links.

For the matings to work the physical characteristic must be carried on one of the sex chromosome - thus the term ‘sex-linked’- and the correct male and female breeds should be selected. For example, a Delaware female mated to a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red male is a sex-link cross where the males will have the Delaware feather pattern of the mother, and females will have a solid red feather pattern similar to their father. If, however, you mate a Delaware male with a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red female, all the offspring will have the same Delaware feather pattern.

The Black sex-links (also known as Rock Reds) are produced by crossing the Barred Plymouth Rock hen with a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster. At hatch both sexes have black down, but the males can be identified by the white dot on their heads. As previously indicated, males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers, while females feather out solid black with some red in the neck feathers.

Golden Comet, Gold Star, or Cinnamon Queen depending on the specific cross used) are produced by a number of different crosses. White Plymouth Rocks hens with the silver factor are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Gold Comet. A Silver Laced Wynandotte hen is crossed with a New Hampshire rooster to produce the Cinnamon Queen. Additional possible Red Sex Link cross combinations are the Rhode Island White hen and a Rhode Island Red rooster which produce a male that will hatch out white and can feather out to pure white or with some black feathering and the females Redish color with white on the tail feathers and maybe around the neck. A Delaware hen with a Rhode Island Red rooster. Males hatch out looking like the Delawares depending on the cross. Females hatch out red like the Rhode Island Red male. Coloring will depend on the cross, and they how they feather out. In the breedings the males can be either New Hampshire Red or Rhode Island Red, most use Rhode Island Reds.

Wow! Thank you everybody for all that input! I really wanted those super large eggs, but an expert on feeds who has bred chickens for many years said that those large eggs are hard on the chickens so maybe I should change my mind? My chickens are spoiled pets and I don't want to harm them because I'm greedy. My friend has some ISA Browns that she bragged laid eggs so large they wouldn't fit in the egg cartons. That sounded so wonderful to me. : )

The hatchery that actually breeds the ISA Browns is Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, Michigan. The hatcheries that sell ISA Browns get them from Townline.

I'm not sure that is correct as the ISA website (http://www.isapoultry.com/en/breeding/research-and-development/) states that its breeding facilities are in Canada, France and the Netherlands. In fact on its contact information page it does not list any locations in the US.

Last edited:
You may be correct but when I did my original research several years ago, I'm pretty sure that Townline Hatchery was listed for the US.

I think I might know what happened then, in 2005 Hendrix Genetics bought ISA, they must have consolidated breeder operations.

MERRY CHRISTMAS...
julgran.gif
Laie_52.gif

Thought i would share some photos of my 3 isa babies! Theyre so cuddly, friendly and such a joy to have around. They just started laying a while ago.

Hi to everyone out there, I'm new to Backyard Chickens and just getting back into chickens after giving up in despair a couple of years ago, I personally had a very sad experience with ISA Browns. When we first moved out here to the country my one big ambition was to have chickens. So I built my coop and pen and bought 4 ISA Browns.They were a great bird that all laid like there was no tomorrow, docile,each one with its' own personality, made great pets and were a wonderful addition to the yard. Then after about 2 years one after another they all developed a prolapsed uterus and had to be put down. When I questioned the local vet about it he told me that here in Australia they are primarily a commercial breed, bred to do one thing and one thing only, lay large eggs until they drop dead usually at about 2 years or after laying between 600 & 650 eggs . A lot of egg producers keep them under lights so that they lay twice a day, the result being they live a much shorter life. When I asked why do that I was told that most birds slow down egg production after a couple of years and this left producers with 10's of millions of birds that were commercially unviable every year,but they were still healthy animals whose meat could not be used for domestic consumption. And that's where the ISA Brown fits in, the bird itself is useless for the meat trade but is suitable for the pet food industry and the fertilizer industry. The producer sees this as a win win situation 2 eggs a day till they drop dead then the carcass sold to the pet food and fertilizer industries with no worries about what to do with unviable birds. Another down side being the euthanasia of millions of day old ISA Browns cockerels every day, hence the difficult in obtaining the cockerels for domestic breeders . I don't know if it's the same in other parts of the world but that's how it seems to be here. It's very sad.

Back
Top Bottom