ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

Many years ago I had ISA Browns from Townline. they were my most productive egg layers. I think these pictures are of my ISA Browns. I have been breeding my own Sex-Links over the years too and have pictures of both and they look alike. I may have posted these pictures before.

Thanks for posting the pics. I have a notion to raise my own sex links in the future also. What parent stock do you use...? How's egg production with your own hybrids...

Quote:
I use some Single Comb Rhode Island White females with Single Comb Rhode Island Red male. They are very good layers. I raise both Single Comb and Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. I tried breeding some of my Rose Comb Rhode Island White females to a Rose Comb Rhode Island Red male. here is a picture of one of the females from that cross. I thought it was a male and kept 2 of the white chicks that were supposed to go into the freezer and sold the rest.

Here are some of the chicks. The black and white chicks were from the RC RIW female / RC RIR male cross, the others are Rhode Island Red chicks.

This is an egg I get probably 6 days a week from my RSL's, it is extra large.

These are my Sinle Comb White girls. These are older pictures.

One of my girls with her SC RIW chicks.

SC RIW females with some SC RIR females and SC RIR males.

I use some Single Comb Rhode Island White females with Single Comb Rhode Island Red male. They are very good layers. I raise both Single Comb and Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. I tried breeding some of my Rose Comb Rhode Island White females to a Rose Comb Rhode Island Red male. here is a picture of one of the females from that cross. I thought it was a male and kept 2 of the white chicks that were supposed to go into the freezer and sold the rest.
Thanks for the additional pictures...beautiful birds. If I understand correctly, you are maintaining a flock of both RIR and RIW for base breeding stock. Do you get your base stock replacements from breeders or hatcheries...?How often do you freshen the bloodline in that BASE stock...? Do you keep them separate all year or let them all run together until 2-3 weeks prior to needing hatching eggs...? You are doing just about what I think I want to do...I'm getting old, just hope I have time to see it through. My grandson (30 years old) is just getting into chickens and building a coop/run at his house now. I would like to show him (demonstrate) how breeding your own sex links is done. I hope I'm not being presumptuous in asking all these questions...thank you for the information...I'm sure it will help me along the way...and maybe even another generation (or three) of future chicken keepers! :)

Quote:
I show my Single Comb and Rose Comb Rhode Island Red and Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites at poultry shows. My Single Comb Rhode Island Whites are only for my Sex-Link breeding program. I have been doing this for many years. I have had hatchery birds but not for a very long time. I hatch and raise my own and keep several families of the same lines. I do not mix the blood lines of the parent stock. My Red Sex-Links do come out darker in color than hatchery birds but all of my parent stock birds are 100% pure heritage. I do on occasion get other birds from breeders of the same lines so they are all distant relatives. I am old too. We are in our 70's. Even though we have had chickens our youngest daughter (46) just got chickens last year, but she has no children. I think about us too getting old and have been thinking about cutting back. Last year I didn't hatch as many chicks and this year I plan on hatching even less. My problem is that I get attached to them all regardless of how many birds I have. I love to take pictures.
These are some of my last springs Rhode Island Red and White youngsters taken a few months ago.

One of my Rose Comb boys "Dexter"

Some of the other boys.

"Wallace"

"Shemp"

Shemps son "Lucky"

I show my Single Comb and Rose Comb Rhode Island Red and Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites at poultry shows. My Single Comb Rhode Island Whites are only for my Sex-Link breeding program. I have been doing this for many years. I have had hatchery birds but not for a very long time. I hatch and raise my own and keep several families of the same lines. I do not mix the blood lines of the parent stock. My Red Sex-Links do come out darker in color than hatchery birds but all of my parent stock birds are 100% pure heritage. I do on occasion get other birds from breeders of the same lines so they are all distant relatives. I am old too. We are in our 70's. Even though we have had chickens our youngest daughter (46) just got chickens last year, but she has no children. I think about us too getting old and have been thinking about cutting back. Last year I didn't hatch as many chicks and this year I plan on hatching even less. My problem is that I get attached to them all regardless of how many birds I have. I love to take pictures.
These are some of my last springs Rhode Island Red and White youngsters taken a few months ago.
That is really a nice flock of chickens...! I like the dark-dark red RIR's...is that the single comb...? Do you breed brothers/sisters or just down line daughters/granddaughters/etc...? When I was growing up we didn't really learn anything about chickens...just turned a bunch loose and they roosted in the barn sheds and perpetually replaced themselves...life seemed to be much more simple then...I am 73. Again, thanks for all your information.
Here is a picture of my best/favorite rooster ever....he was 87.5% english orp and 12.5% american standard orp. His name was General Lee. :) He was VERY large.

Quote:
Probably my favorite was my Rose Comb Rhode Island White "Shemp" He was my first RC RIW male. I got him when he was young. I did hatch out many chicks from him. My next favorite is a Single Comb Rhode Island Red male I hatched. "Champ". I do line breed. I do not breed brothers and sisters. Every year I get a new cockerel from the same breeder I got my original birds. Matt Ulrich. He is also the president of the Rhode Island Red Club of America and knows his birds. I feel very fortunate to be able to carry on this line.

Shemp

Champ at a show, of course he moved when I snapped the picture.

Champ. He somehow cut his comb in the middle so I haven't shown him anymore but he is in a breeding pen with some special girls.

I just got 8 chicks yesterday, I'm happy to have this breed. For those who have let them breed with other ISA Browns, do future generations have lower egg production?

I only have one (assumed) isa brown, a lovely 1 year old named Duck Duck. She is sweet as pie and of course a wonderful layer. I was dismayed to learn that these ladies typically "lay themselves to death" even out of battery conditions, are prone to prolapse, egg binding etc. Do you find this to be true? She is probably my favorite hen, and I hate to think of that kind of future, but I would like to be prepared. What, if any common health problems do you notice in your Isa Browns?
She's my only hen to consistently make it over the 5 foot chain link surrounding their yard. I clipped one wing and she still got over. Clipped the other one and she stays in :) That's her in my avatar.

Hey everyone! I am new to this so please be kind with my chicken stupidity. I have 6 ISA Brown "pullets" just under 3 wks old. I was reading that since the are sex link, the females will be brownish red and the males white. We purchased them as sexed female chicks. My concern is that as they are feathering in, a few of them look much leso red than the others. Could it be I have roos? I snapped this picture of them before I cleaned their "brooder" tonight. Let me know what you think please!!!

Back
Top Bottom