Isabel Ameraucana hen x wheaten Ameraucana rooster = Isabel chicks?

Shedawand

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hi! I have a beautiful Isabel Ameraucana hen and just wondering if I purchase a wheaten Ameraucana rooster, what percentage of chicks will be Isabel? Thank-you!

Hi! I have a beautiful Isabel Ameraucana hen and just wondering if I purchase a wheaten Ameraucana rooster, what percentage of chicks will be Isabel? Thank-you!
Probably none of the chicks will be Isabel.

The Isabel color needs the recessive gene called lavender. Because it is recessive, the chicks will only show that color if they inherit the lavender gene from both parents (which is impossible if the father does not carry that gene.)

If you cross Wheaten x Isabel, then keep a son and breed back to his Isabel mother, you should get about 50% Isabel chicks from that backcross.

Probably none of the chicks will be Isabel.

The Isabel color needs the recessive gene called lavender. Because it is recessive, the chicks will only show that color if they inherit the lavender gene from both parents (which is impossible if the father does not carry that gene.)

If you cross Wheaten x Isabel, then keep a son and breed back to his Isabel mother, you should get about 50% Isabel chicks from that backcross.
Thank-you kindly for answering my question!😊

Back
Top Bottom