Isabella Brahma x White Leghorn Is it possible to make Isabella Leghorns through breeding these two?

Anonymous__

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
Recently I have a Isabella Brahma rooster and I'm try to get some Isabella Leghorns. Is it possible to make Isabella Leghorns by crossing my Isabella Brahma to my White Leghorn hens?

In theory I suppose so but once you breed in Brahma, it will be quite difficult and take many generations of selective breeding to get rid of all these distinct traits to produce something that matches the Leghorn standard. The pea comb, feathered legs and shanks would require careful breeding to remove a mixture of dominant and recessive traits, but it is possible to do so with a few generations and a bit of luck. The problem is you likely need to breed back to leghorn which makes it unclear what carries lavender or partridge because white and extended black will hide them. Also getting birds to meet Leghorn size and build would take a lot of breeding or luck because it’s not as simple as a single gene at play. Maybe try getting lavender leghorns instead if you can’t get any Isabella ones, breeding these offspring together until you get the right combination might work, depending on what type of pattern the white is based on.

Isabel brahmas aren’t the same as isabel leghorns. Isabel leghorns are lavender duckwing and isabel brahmas are lavender partridge. Which pattern are you trying to breed?

I am not picky about what type of Isabella pattern it is, I just want to get a few more Isabellas. I know Isabella brahmas aren’t the same as isabella leghorns have different patterns but I also know that columbian leghorns have a similar pattern to brahmas so I thought I would give ask about crossing the Leghorn and brahma. Thank you for the responses and advice everyone!

I am not picky about what type of Isabella pattern it is, I just want to get a few more Isabellas. I know Isabella brahmas aren’t the same as isabella leghorns have different patterns but I also know that columbian leghorns have a similar pattern to brahmas so I thought I would give ask about crossing the Leghorn and brahma. Thank you for the responses and advice everyone!
In that case, you may want to get some brown or silver leghorns, it could speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom