ISABELLE LEGHORNS IN USA!

Pics
Wow!! He is gorgeous!
droolin.gif

He looks like the one that has the description FOR Isabella
http://leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf?phpMyAdmin=92cf0928fc32fa6ade98585639c49441
That bird being from Europe etc. --
The richer --dark dark peach color on the shoulder is one sign of an underlying gold gene -- and of course that and the bar on the wing with the triangle underneath the bar -- as a sign of wildtype or 'duckwing' on the E-locus. Besides just being a beautiful healthy chicken etc. -- the color is magnificent.

What avenue gets a person there? Is it selection for the best marked and most intense colors -- or is it frequent return to the basic brown part of the lavender-brown background.

Thanks for posting!

He is really nice. I'm feeling the need for some splits real soon! It seems like the way to get there would be both; returning to the lav-brown and selecting for the most intense color.

Last edited:
This boy is about 5 months old. The pullets are 4-5 months old.

I've been looking more closely at earlobes since you showed yours. The pullets/hens all have white ear lobes, but my cock bird has white speckled with red in it. This young cockerel has white with a red ring around it. His feather fraying is an improvement over the last generation though. I've added a Backwoods Poultry F7 pullet to the mix and have some of her eggs hatching next week also. Isabelles are a continuing story...as are most breeds.

I'm having the same issues, trying to grow out enough to get a few with correct full white ear lobes as well as improved feather quality and of course the desired color.

Wow!! He is gorgeous!
droolin.gif

He looks like the one that has the description FOR Isabella
http://leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf?phpMyAdmin=92cf0928fc32fa6ade98585639c49441
That bird being from Europe etc. --
The richer --dark dark peach color on the shoulder is one sign of an underlying gold gene -- and of course that and the bar on the wing with the triangle underneath the bar -- as a sign of wildtype or 'duckwing' on the E-locus. Besides just being a beautiful healthy chicken etc. -- the color is magnificent.

What avenue gets a person there? Is it selection for the best marked and most intense colors -- or is it frequent return to the basic brown part of the lavender-brown background.

Thanks for posting!

Just keep crossing back to brown. I cross Isabels to brown to make splits. Then cross splits to isabels to make more isabels. Take those isabels to browns to make more splits. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Of course selecting those birds in each generation that best meet your criteria.

Just keep crossing back to brown. I cross Isabels to brown to make splits. Then cross splits to isabels to make more isabels. Take those isabels to browns to make more splits. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Of course selecting those birds in each generation that best meet your criteria.

@cjwaldon- I use DBL to make my splits. I know most use LBL. What do you feel is the difference in appearance or is it just personal choice and what is on hand?

@cjwaldon- I use DBL to make my splits. I know most use LBL. What do you feel is the difference in appearance or is it just personal choice and what is on hand?

I'm using DB as well. Whatever the base color is will be diluted by the lavender gene. The DB have darker redder hackle/saddle than LB. However, since my Isabels were initially created using LB (I got them from Buddy Henry), I consider my splits DB x LB. Therefor, if you prefer the lemon yellow, use LB. If you prefer the darker wheaten color, use DB. IMO.

I love love love the pure white and lavender. I think the peach golden color makes them look dirty lol.

As they say. Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder!
1f606.png
It is really pretty

-- all the lav colored are IMO

..but something about the Isabel (Isabella, Isabelline ( a new word delved from research -- look at this color chart of cheetahs http://strangebio.com/post/79726674587/big-cat-color-morphs-from-messybeast-the-model-is )

In other animals - such as horses etc. the Isabel is 'warm' colored. -- or straw may be a better descriptor... it needs that warm color to contrast with the lav. -- So interesting...

Seems too that a female with the really STRONG salmon breast would help preserve the color going forward. Lavender is meant to dilute both the black and red pigments but not to wipe them out entirely. ;O)

Back
Top Bottom