Isbar thread

[COLOR=006400]Cute chicks! It is a little too early to determine sex yet. The one pictured above is most likely a mottled "Isbar". It will probably be very pretty, but should not be used in a purebred breeding program. [/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]I see no problem with project colors as long as you keep them separate from a purebred breeding program and clearly disclose them as projects to anyone that gets offspring from you. I am working on a project color myself. What color do you want to work on?[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]That depends on who you listen to. For me, I wait at least 30 days. If I am able, I will actually separate the hens from the cocks and then check all eggs for fertility until they are not fertile for at least a week, then put them back together.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]Very cute![/COLOR] :love [COLOR=800080] Your center chick does not look like splash to me. You should be seeing some blue coming in on the feathers by now. If you do not see the blue color very soon, I would question whether or not that is an Isbar. Here is a picture of one of my week old splash chicks:[/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]Congratulations on your eggs![/COLOR] :clap [COLOR=006400] As long as the inside of the shell is blue, you are good to go. You may need to remove both of the white membranes to see the blue.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]He looks very handsome! I would like to see more green in the legs, but that can be fixed by pairing him with hens that have green or slate/yellow legs. One of the most important things, though certainly not the only thing, to be concerned with in a cock is that he carries the blue egg gene, preferably 2 copies. To test for this, put a white or brown egg laying hen in with him. Hatch the eggs and grow up at least 10 of the pullets to laying age. If all of them lay blue or green eggs, then he is very likely to be homozygous for the blue egg gene (has 2 copies). If some lay blue/green and some lay brown, then he is heterozygous (carries only 1 copy). If none of them lay blue/green, then he most likely does not carry the blue egg gene.[/COLOR]
Thanks so much I have a brown layer in their pen so I will hatch them. That does confirm my younger pairs have the blue color on the inside of the egg. I'll double check this guy. Pam

Happy to report both pens have the double blue gene. All blue under the white inner membrane. I will hatch a few brown eggs to make sure. Thanks for your help. I have another rooster with his form with darker legs. I will keep him lucky enough all my hens have dark legs. Thanks again Pam

Thanks for the great information and guidance, as always! I will keep an eye on my little yellow fuzz ball. I am looking very forward to a productive breeding program for the Isbars- Silverrudd's Blues. They are beautiful birds!

Those of you who are breeding- Do you have Splash in your program as well?

This little fella certainly isn't wasting anytime. He's developing faster than any rooster i've had before. This is at 7 weeks.

Nice photos - I like that leg color. The comb looks a bit gray rather than pink-red. Is that the case, or is it the way the lighting is. What a nice little guy -- Thanks for posting him.

The comb is certainly more grey than the wattles but the very tips of it are beginning to take on the red color. I've also got a Marsh x Legbar cockerel and it is no where near as developed as this one.

[COLOR=006400]Cute chicks! It is a little too early to determine sex yet. The one pictured above is most likely a mottled "Isbar". It will probably be very pretty, but should not be used in a purebred breeding program. [/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]I see no problem with project colors as long as you keep them separate from a purebred breeding program and clearly disclose them as projects to anyone that gets offspring from you. I am working on a project color myself. What color do you want to work on?[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]That depends on who you listen to. For me, I wait at least 30 days. If I am able, I will actually separate the hens from the cocks and then check all eggs for fertility until they are not fertile for at least a week, then put them back together.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]Very cute![/COLOR] :love [COLOR=800080] Your center chick does not look like splash to me. You should be seeing some blue coming in on the feathers by now. If you do not see the blue color very soon, I would question whether or not that is an Isbar. Here is a picture of one of my week old splash chicks:[/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]Congratulations on your eggs![/COLOR] :clap [COLOR=006400] As long as the inside of the shell is blue, you are good to go. You may need to remove both of the white membranes to see the blue.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]He looks very handsome! I would like to see more green in the legs, but that can be fixed by pairing him with hens that have green or slate/yellow legs. One of the most important things, though certainly not the only thing, to be concerned with in a cock is that he carries the blue egg gene, preferably 2 copies. To test for this, put a white or brown egg laying hen in with him. Hatch the eggs and grow up at least 10 of the pullets to laying age. If all of them lay blue or green eggs, then he is very likely to be homozygous for the blue egg gene (has 2 copies). If some lay blue/green and some lay brown, then he is heterozygous (carries only 1 copy). If none of them lay blue/green, then he most likely does not carry the blue egg gene.[/COLOR]
I actually haven't decided on a color I have several I could do, I have wheaten ameraucanas, one roosrooster pure for the blue egg gene who could be partridge or split to it. A pullet that is his daughter with a white laced red cornish who lays light olive eggs etc. I could even go for silver penciled with my Plymouth rocks. What would you suggest?

I actually haven't decided on a color I have several I could do, I have wheaten ameraucanas, one roosrooster pure for the blue egg gene who could be partridge or split to it. A pullet that is his daughter with a white laced red cornish who lays light olive eggs etc. I could even go for silver penciled with my Plymouth rocks. What would you suggest?
Here is a question for you -- and I hope it comes across right:

Are you going the project route because you don't have the base stock of Silverudd's Blue Isbar -- that's to say you have only one of a pair - or the ones you have are all closely related? If the breed needs more individuals just to strengthen the breed -- would it be more advantageous to try for top quality pure Isbars?

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom