Isbar thread

Pics

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
ok, so I don't have them YET, but I couldn't find a thread specifically for the Isbar so I started one
big_smile.png

I have a juvenile pair of Blue Isbars coming soon(in a few weeks hopefully
fl.gif
) and I am looking forward to them. I will most definitely post pics of them when they get here and as they mature.

So, anyone else getting some Isbars?

Last edited:

I got my first Silverudd's Blue egg a couple days ago. Interestingly, my friend who owns three of my pullet's hatchmates got her first two SB eggs on the EXACT SAME DAY...one mint green and the other a dark, dark olive green with speckles. Beautiful!!!

Do you happen to remember what he looked like as a chick? Wondering if there are any "tells" That I can pinpoint in my new chicks to determine if they may be mottled.
I thought splash when he was younger, but now I look at pics and know he had lots of black, where splash tend to be more white based.
IMG_20170606_054629_kindlephoto-2978090.jpg

Sure
smile.png
there's a gene bank certificate for many types of Swedish landrace chickens and the heritage club is very careful about who is registered in their genebank.

Just to not totally highjack the Isbar thread
wink.png
the Isbars are not landrace type chickens. They are a modern production breed which was designed by Martin Silverudd, who also made the Fifty Five Flowerys (autosexing breed). The Isbars were created around the 70s (I think) to be a single combed green egg laying production breed. From what I read RIR, New Hampshire and Cream Crested Legbars were used to create them. Depending on the source some also say that there's Leghorn in them. Unfortunately Mr. Silverudd died before finishing this breed and there's little documentation about the creation of the Isbars, so nobody knows what he had in mind as a finished bird and there's no actual standard for them.
They come in blue/black/splash but the preferred variety to breed/keep are the blue ones, hence they are usually called "Blue Isbars". Many of them also show silver or gold in the neck and saddle areas.

I have five girls laying right now and I finally got a picture that pretty much represents the egg color and variation. One hen lays a khaki green egg and another lays a mint green egg while others lay moss green eggs. One girl lays a green egg with little white spots while another lays a yellowish green egg with mauve-brown spots, seen at the top of the photo. I am anxious to see what colors the last three pullets lay.

Back
Top Bottom