Isbar thread

Pics
Warning: I am not breeding Isbars for standard of perfection. I am looking for help from the experts on this forum.

I am a high school teacher and I use rare chicken breeds and egg colors to teach sustainability & genetics. We research different egg colors and breeding for various egg colors. We are going to be hatching some olive eggers, partridge penedesenca, FBC marans, tufted rumpless araucanas and various other breeds soon in the classroom.

Has anyone tried a cross between two blue egg laying breeds (Ameraucana with Cream Legbar) or even a cross between a blue egg layer with a green egg layer (Isbar). I am just curious if this would produce a brighter blue egg layer or even a brighter turquoise colored egg. Anyone tried this or have opinions/predictions or a hypotheses? I know about the basics of egg color genetics and makeup. Responding with a comment like "a green egg is really a blue egg with brown coating....." is not going to help. We figured that out at the very beginning of our research.

My students goal is to raise chickens that will produce 12 different egg colors. A rainbow dozen. We have a lot of the obvious breeds. The students are bringing up great questions about cross breeding for egg color. The OE was an experiment...there has to be more out there.

I will be posting this in several forums to gain info. Thanks so much!!
Wish I had you for a teacher....how fun! There have been several people who talked about mixing the Isbar with a blue egg layer....like the Cream Legbar or the Wheaten Ameraucana. I think they were going to try it. My birds aren't that old enough yet. I am going to breed my green egg gene rooster with my blue egg layer Easter Eggers. I think that will be fun. I also have a light pinkish brown egg I would like to see mixed with the green. I would love for you to keep in touch so we could all see how it turns out! Good luck.

I hatched my first Isbar chick from my own eggs!
big_smile.png
It's a cute little blue. Hope it's a girl, I need more girls.

Can't answer your genetics question, although I do own all the breeds your discussing.

I do have an Isbar roo in with my mixed egg laying flock, so he's covering brown and white egg laying girls.

Hi, does anyone know why Greenfire Farms is no longer selling Isbar chicks? I searched the website yesterday, they no longer have the Isbar chicks on there. Just curious if anyone knows why?????

Hi everyone -

Sorry I have been quite. This time of the year is REALLY busy here with the farm. It is planting time, sheep lambing, chickens laying and somewhere in the mix I have got to get to spraying the fences with Roundup!!!!

I did have one black Isbar roo - but sold him off about 6 months ago to a friend. I am hatching chicks weekly - but to be honest I am struggling on keeping up with orders. I am about 5 to 6 weeks out on chicks if anyone is willing to wait. :)

Hope everyone had a HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!

Take care,
Richard

Hi, does anyone know why Greenfire Farms is no longer selling Isbar chicks? I searched the website yesterday, they no longer have the Isbar chicks on there. Just curious if anyone knows why?????
I think they often only have breeds that are uber-rare, and once folks outside of GFF begin breeding & sharing them with others, they are not as interested in keeping them, as they cannot make as much money once there are more folks with them. JMO.

Hello Folks I love my Americana's and my little Japanese Bantams but folks I have to tell you for Sheer Beauty I have to say the Is bar's are among the most Beautiful in all of Chickendom. I would bevery intrested inpurchasing some eggs or young chicks or a pair if any of you follks can help me find them.

My Isbar, Nemo, was hatched from Richard's egg! Top photo is of her watching tv with my son. Bottom photo is Nemo hanging out with her best buddy, Maxine....a Polish/EE Frizzle mix. Nemo is now 13 weeks old! Yes, Isbars are beautiful chickens! Can't wait to get some of those lovely moss green eggs!

I think they often only have breeds that are uber-rare, and once folks outside of GFF begin breeding & sharing them with others, they are not as interested in keeping them, as they cannot make as much money once there are more folks with them. JMO.
But, they are still selling the Swedish Flower hens and they are pretty abundant everywhere...?

Back
Top Bottom