Isbar thread

Oh that's good to hear! He came from Greenfire farms-and he's not supposed to be bantam. He just didn't get bigger than bantam sized. I think he might just be a sweet little runt. As long as he behaves he'll be our new flock king and garden mascot.

Oh that's good to hear! He came from Greenfire farms-and he's not supposed to be bantam. He just didn't get bigger than bantam sized. I think he might just be a sweet little runt. As long as he behaves he'll be our new flock king and garden mascot.
would love to see a photo - with something in it to help determine his size.... soda-pop can? -- I'm still thinking that there could be a big market for bantam Isbar.
wink.png

Glad I found this group! I have a young Isbar hen that I got from a friend and I just adore her. She is sweet and beautiful and integrated into my mixed laying flock without incident. I plan on adding some more to my flock this spring or maybe creating a separate isbar flock, but they are not the easiest to find! I'm considering getting chicks from Greenfire. Has anyone on here gotten chicks from them?

I look forward to learning more about this breed.

When I first started working with Isbar I was running into these kinds of problems left and right, I even had rounds of hatches from shipped eggs where all the chicks were swimming on their backs or had neurological problems and shook until they passed away - it was REALLY discouraging.

After digging around I ended up purchasing a flock from a breeder and got to the bottom of the problem, it all stemmed from inbreeding. Nowadays I take great care to bring in genetic diversity, I traded roosters with a local gal and now I have healthy, robust chicks. They always make it and I have had none of the problems I did before. The Breed is so docile and sweet, even at 6 weeks they will come running for me to say hello from across their field tractor. Their egg production is impressive, even in this cold weather and they are beautiful to look at - what else could you want! :)
I an glad things are looking up for you in your Isbar breeding program!
thumbsup.gif

Hi out there! So I'd been looking to get a new rooster for my flock and I happened upon a local breeder that had taken a shine to a an Isbar cockerel that had wound up bantam sized and they didn't want to cull so she's trying to find him a home for free. What can you guys tell me about the average temperament of Isbar roosters? I can't find too much. He needs to be respectful of my (little) kids and their interactions with the hens and not a crow-a-holic to live here. What are the roosters that you guys have like?
I find my Isbars are the easiest to integrate into a new flock. They are so laid back. I have never had a human aggressive Isbar rooster. They are protective of their girls, but are respectful of me. Mine do crow, but not excessively so. They are great boys to have around.

Got my first isbar egg a few seconds ago.
Kytpusher pullet
yesss.gif
After all she went through, I am glad you didn't have to wait months more for her to start laying. Still waiting for pictures...
pop.gif
lol.png

took a photo yesterday of my best-looking cockerel (of four, more than i need, but...) and his two girlfriends -- looking forward to hatching eggs from this trio this spring!
Gorgeous!
love.gif
thumbsup.gif
I need to get some eggs from you!
wink.png

Glad I found this group! I have a young Isbar hen that I got from a friend and I just adore her. She is sweet and beautiful and integrated into my mixed laying flock without incident. I plan on adding some more to my flock this spring or maybe creating a separate isbar flock, but they are not the easiest to find! I'm considering getting chicks from Greenfire. Has anyone on here gotten chicks from them?

I look forward to learning more about this breed.
I have stock from both the 1st import line and their currently available 2nd import (2013) line. I am much more pleased with the 1st import line. I have 2 hens from the second import left and a trio of mixed import lines from another breeder that I am keeping to add diversity to my flock. I will be adding additional stock from breeders that have the 1st import line, but I will not add any more of the 2013 import line. Too much variability in the 2013 line to make them good breeding stock, IMHO. If all you are looking for is excellent layers for a general flock, you should be happy with the 2013 line.

I have stock from both the 1st import line and their currently available 2nd import (2013) line. I am much more pleased with the 1st import line. I have 2 hens from the second import left and a trio of mixed import lines from another breeder that I am keeping to add diversity to my flock. I will be adding additional stock from breeders that have the 1st import line, but I will not add any more of the 2013 import line. Too much variability in the 2013 line to make them good breeding stock, IMHO. If all you are looking for is excellent layers for a general flock, you should be happy with the 2013 line.

This is great information, thank you!!!! Looks like I need to decide if I want to add layers or start a separate flock, before making my next move. Other than Greenfire, who else sells Isbar chicks or hatching eggs? Is there a breeders group/club where I can find breeders who are selling Isbars?

Last edited:
This is great information, thank you!!!! Looks like I need to decide if I want to add layers or start a separate flock, before making my next move. Other than Greenfire, who else sells Isbar chicks or hatching eggs? Is there a breeders group/club where I can find breeders who are selling Isbars?
I got some nice Isbars from Omega Hills Farms... not quite as dark eyed as the very first imports (a dark brown instead of the coal black look) -- but healthy birds. One of the cockerels (a splash) won 3rd place in a poultry show in the "backyard division' (Non APA recognized breeds or anything someone wants to enter there) -- and that was against all comers - I was pretty much impressed by that -- but they were all in general beautiful chickens.

Back
Top Bottom