Isbar thread

I have done tons of research on SFH, and I honestly believe I got some great stock from very reputable breeders. I have absolutely 0 complaints about my Swedish hen stock. I have been looking into Silverudds for over a month now, but honestly I have had not a lot of luck. That is why I am asking. I am not trying to be naïve, just trying to make some new connections to this breed. Another lady and myself have been trying to find someone in WI that has this breed and have come up with nothing. Honestly, the best people and information I have gotten are from th SFH FB page, but I have not been able to find the page for silverudd's until today. ( I have not been looking in the right spot in the past lol)

I do have to admit, I was too excited about the silverudd and getting impatient with the amount of people that I could find that sold hatching eggs, that I bought them from a lady I didn't have a lot of background from.
idunno.gif
Shame on me I know. I learned my lesson. But, I will be looking for more this summer :)
I was lucky that I stumbled onto SFH's from a local girls pictures and fell in love with the breed. Her rooster was infertile, so I couldn't get any. That made me go looking for them on BYC and I found @KYTinpusher and from there branched out to Silverudd's Blue. Just dumb luck. All my eggs have been shipped or I drove 4 hours...each way...more than once.
hide.gif

I've always felt that if I am learning, it is good. When I think I know it all, then I'm in trouble. My DH complains that all I do is study about chickens. Now I'm going to go look for pictures of you SFH's!

Thank you everyone! I will just have to patiently (impatiently) wait till they hatch. I have them separated out in the incubator so hopefully all goes well! I have some Swedish flowering hen eggs in there as well. She told me her stock came directly from greenfire farm, and I would like to breed and sell chicks down the road. That being said, does anyone sell hatching eggs? I will be interested in buying some more hatching eggs a little later this summer. I am super excited to get started on this breed!
There are a couple of us on here that do and really took the time to learn about the breed and source the best diversity for our stock. I got a wealth of knowledge from KYTinpusher and she is very diligent about her breeding. My breeding program is brand new this Spring bc I have been growing out my flock and culling hard for it. I sourced birds directly from GreenFire five times and also hatched eggs from KYTinpusher. This breed is amazing and in New York I think it's the ultimate chicken. Rain, snow, sleet...sun...those chicks are enjoying their time outside! Also, follow the egg auctions- you can get some really good deals there!

Best of luck!

So, I just received my hatching eggs for my first isbars. YEAH! But the color of the eggs are not quite what I expected. Some are definitely green while other are more of a light tan, or tan with spots. Should I be concerned? or is this normal?

Sometines the color is off from the bloom. I have one that lays a grey egg until you wash them then they are olive colored. Pam

I have done tons of research on SFH, and I honestly believe I got some great stock from very reputable breeders. I have absolutely 0 complaints about my Swedish hen stock. I have been looking into Silverudds for over a month now, but honestly I have had not a lot of luck. That is why I am asking. I am not trying to be naïve, just trying to make some new connections to this breed. Another lady and myself have been trying to find someone in WI that has this breed and have come up with nothing. Honestly, the best people and information I have gotten are from th SFH FB page, but I have not been able to find the page for silverudd's until today. ( I have not been looking in the right spot in the past lol)

I do have to admit, I was too excited about the silverudd and getting impatient with the amount of people that I could find that sold hatching eggs, that I bought them from a lady I didn't have a lot of background from. :idunno  Shame on me I know. I learned my lesson. But, I will be looking for more this summer :) 

I have eggs and chicks but I'm a ways from you. Hatching eggs should be bought closer if you can find them for a better hatch IMO. Make sure they are NPIP certified look for pics of their breeding stock and if in a group or forum ask others who have bought from them. Good luck. Pam

I have eggs and chicks but I'm a ways from you. Hatching eggs should be bought closer if you can find them for a better hatch IMO. Make sure they are NPIP certified look for pics of their breeding stock and if in a group or forum ask others who have bought from them. Good luck. Pam

Thank you for the great advice! I will keep my eyes open and see if I can't find anyone a little closer!

A side shot of the comb and wattles would be helpful in determining gender. From what I can see, I'm GUESSING pullet??? For comparison, here is my black cockerel at 6 weeks, 5 days. Notice the comb and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom