Isbar thread

My gut feeling is the same as yours: that #1 and #3 are likely cockerels. If your babies are anything like mine, you'll know soon. I shared a picture of my black cockerel in post #1749. This is how he looked at 3 weeks, 2 days:

I am also new to Silverudd's Blues (aka Isbars), and I am curious as to whether or not they tend to develop early. Perhaps someone experienced can answer?
Sometimes I can tell more by attitude; how they carry themselves and how they treat the others in the brooder. I have had some I knew at hatch what their sex was. Just the way he busted out of the egg and took over. The splash seem to be slower to show themselves. As for egg laying, I have a pullet who hatched Dec. 27, I am impatiently waiting on to start laying. Her comb is red, but no hint of interest in the egg box. It is only 18 weeks, but I am impatient! The last one to start was 22 weeks at first lay.

Sometimes I can tell more by attitude; how they carry themselves and how they treat the others in the brooder. I have had some I knew at hatch what their sex was. Just the way he busted out of the egg and took over. The splash seem to be slower to show themselves. As for egg laying, I have a pullet who hatched Dec. 27, I am impatiently waiting on to start laying. Her comb is red, but no hint of interest in the egg box. It is only 18 weeks, but I am impatient! The last one to start was 22 weeks at first lay.
Good info.... I had one in the brooder that had that kind of "attitude" -- but sadly it didn't make it - it was a solid light blue -- all the other ones that I have hatched here are dark blue -- or slate-blue.

Something about the one cockerel, he has the same attitude his father has...always there to greet me -- and expects to be hand fed a treat. This line of chickens has a diploma in training humans IMO.
gig.gif

Here are the same chicks I posted about a few weeks ago. Now they are

5 weeks. #1 and #4 definitely look like roos to me. #2 looks like a hen. #3 I'm not sure ... could be a roo. What do you think?

I need to get better pics. But so far I have a splash Roo and 3 black Roos, and 8 varying shades of blue pullets and one black. I like them so far, very calm birds.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Picked up a black isbar pullet today from the same breeder because he felt bad about both of the chicks i got from him being boys.
How many weeks is your Isbar? I just got one that is very similar and everyone is saying she's a Roo! I'm confident (having seen them all together) am about 98% she's a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom