Isbar thread

Agreed, I would not cross breed them. Pictures would help. I have blues and there is no splotches...You will only see that on the splashes. Where are you located? I have a blue boy from this season as well as a black roo that I would let go.

Last edited:
Agreed, I would not cross breed them.  Pictures would help.  I have blues and there is no splotches...You will only see that on the splashes.  Where are you located?  I have a blue boy from this season as well as a black roo that I would let go. 
I am in southern arizona

I have a pair of silverudd's blues (a mother and a son) they are both blue and are very splotchy, does anybody know why? I may at some point obtain some blue andalusians, could I cross them in to better the lacing and also add some genetic diversity. What problems may I encounter in my endeavor? I know productivity may go down a bit, is that correct? However I've read that if they address line bred for too many generations that could happen too?
Do you mean like the girl in the center of this picture? The dark feathers are a somewhat common occurrence in blues. I have read that it is a result of a blue x black breeding. Breeding back to blues should help minimize it if you don't like it. It is an issue with show breeds, but is not really an issue for Silverudd's Blue. On some the dark feathers can get the beetle green sheen that I think is quite pretty.

[COLOR=006400]Do you mean like the girl in the center of this picture? The dark feathers are a somewhat common occurrence in blues. I have read that it is a result of a blue x black breeding. Breeding back to blues should help minimize it if you don't like it. It is an issue with show breeds, but is not really an issue for Silverudd's Blue. On some the dark feathers can get the beetle green sheen that I think is quite pretty.[/COLOR]
Both her and her son have them and his dad was a really light blue

The color to me is not a problem, but the tail set on the cockerel does not look right, as well as all the fluff he has by the tail (have you checked him for mites/lice recently?). His back appears very short in the pictures, which could be bad for production in the pullets he fathers. But maybe it is just the way he is standing. Breeding back to his mother could accentuate those characteristics, but would probably even out the color.

[COLOR=006400]The color to me is not a problem, but the tail set on the cockerel does not look right, as well as all the fluff he has by the tail (have you checked him for mites/lice recently?). His back appears very short in the pictures, which could be bad for production in the pullets he fathers. But maybe it is just the way he is standing. Breeding back to his mother could accentuate those characteristics, but would probably even out the color.[/COLOR]
he was in motion in most of the pictures, his tail set is usually a bit lower and he doesn't stand up so straight. I recently moved him and his mom to a different pen, but I might need to check for lice again. I really need to get them a roost in that pen

Last edited:
Hi all! Jumping in--I'm new to isbars & hatched two on 4/12. I'm wondering how soon I will know their sex. One is a cute little splash & one is very black with a light underbelly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi all! Jumping in--I'm new to isbars & hatched two on 4/12. I'm wondering how soon I will know their sex. One is a cute little splash & one is very black with a light underbelly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome to the wonderful and sometimes maddening world of Silverudd's Blue (Isbar)!

You may be able to get an idea of the sex of your babies by the first month, usually it is a bit longer though. I have some hatched 6 days ago and can make guesses based on stance, but they are only guesses. I like it when a cockerel shows himself quickly and many SB do. There are some though... I have a little splash I was sure was female who just started growing waddles. He is 3 months old. Little stinker! He is in with several dominant cockerels though.

Back
Top Bottom