ISO Heritage chickens and quality guineas (and maybe ducks). Location-Delaware

Fenika

Songster
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Hello,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I'm looking for some nice egg laying chickens (dual purpose okay) that have good bloodlines, along with some guinea fowl (any type). A small flock of ducks is likely in my future too.

The last time I got birds I got runty dual purpose chickens with males who had lost their dance, forcing me to cull all the roosters in the end. The guineas I got were a little better, but still not breeding quality, so that didn't work well for establishing a flock.

I have a farm again and would like to start raising birds, primarily for eggs (all species), and tick control (the guineas of course). I am fascinated with guinea fowl and would love to try imprinting them down the line as well.

I don't eat a lot of meat, but would probably want to have a dual purpose duck flock so I can cull the males for a non-traditional thanksgiving bird.

So I'm looking for a nice farm somewhere nearish Delaware so I can get some well bred birds. Any leads appreciated :)

Muscovy ducks are very tasty! And they taste like sirloin steak!
Muscovy ducks are very passionate too! They act like dogs! Mine wags their tails and peeps when I feed them.
Also Muscovy's are very quite! They his not quack!
Here some pictures:
00M0M_lbAwqVohMvQ_1200x900.jpg IMG_1491.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1655.JPG IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_2003.JPG

Muscovy's sound very nice, and I know they are a popular duck breed :) Too bad you are so far away. Are Muscovy's good at foraging and watching out for predators? (I am digging a pond in one corner where there's a natural clay deposit, so want them out by day and in their own coop at night). (And thus needing a small duck flock as I don't want my pond to turn into an algae broth!)

My Muscovy's free range. They mostly eat the grass and bugs rather than their feed. Also when I got my first Muscovy's I only had females. A raccoon got in and injured one of them. So I got some males to have a good fertility. The males are very good protectors! I haven't had a raccoon attack ever since. Also Muscovy ducks eat a lot of bugs which provide pest control!
I am currently hatching Muscovy eggs in 4 incubators filled and have 12 females laying on clutches of 10+ eggs all due to hatch this month.

That sounds perfect. Free range bug eaters and protective males is just what I need. Plus, duck eggs, mmm.

Back
Top Bottom