ISO Old Fashioned Hermit Cookie recipe

R3Rugrats

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
Anyone have a recipe for hermit cookies?? Not the ones that call for nuts.. The one I remember is more like a bar than a cookie.. They were pretty dark, molasses? I've been looking but can't seem to find a recipe and would love to find one..

Thanks

I have two recipes for you :
1) From Sun-Maid's 1923 cookbook , said to be the original spice cookie.
Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
HEAT oven to 350 F.
GREASE cookie sheets.
COMBINE shortening, brown sugar, sugar and eggs; beat until light and fluffy.
COMBINE flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves.
ADD to shortening mixture; mix well.
STIR in raisins and walnuts.
DROP by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
BAKE in upper third of oven at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.

2) from good housekeeping cookbook:
Ingredients
U.S. Metric Conversion chart
1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup(s) dark seedless raisins
1/3 cup(s) packed dark brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 cup(s) mild molasses
3 tablespoon(s) margarine, melted, substitute butter
1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1 large egg white

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2.In large bowl, with spoon, stir flour, raisins, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt until combined.
3.Stir in molasses, melted margarine or butter, vanilla, and egg white just until blended.
4.With metal spatula, spread batter in two 12-inch by 2-inch strips, about 2 inches apart, on cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes. While hot, with serrated knife, cut strips crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-wide bars. With pancake turner, remove bars to wire rack to cool. If not serving right away, store bars in tightly covered container.

Oh boy.. thanks.. now I get to try them today. That bottom one looks like it. I know they're pretty spicy and they are made in strips then cut... I'll let you know .
Thanks again,
Patty
wee.gif

So I tried the Good Housekeeping recipe.. and boy was it good. Just as I remembered it... I will alter the recipe just a tad next time due to the overpowering of ginger... I'll reduce it to 1 tsp. and I added 1 whole egg instead of 1 egg white... But the end result was great.

Thanks again.

Patty
celebrate.gif

The GH recipe is wonderful! I took the advice of another commenter…I halved the ginger and used the whole egg, with an extra 1T flour to cover the extra moisture, plus I added 1/4 tsp. ground allspice, about 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg, and a scant 1/8 tsp.finely ground black pepper (TRUST me on this!). used a mix of golden raisins and dried currants because that’s what I had, and used a mix of walnuts and pecans because that’s what I like. I dropped the dough by rounded tablespoons onto a silicone mat lined baking sheet and baked them for 13 minutes at 350. WOW!!

Back
Top Bottom