ISO Welsummer Rooster -- Maine

TimG

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Maine
Hello,

I live in Greater Portland and have a small backyard laying flock on one year-old hens. I am just a hobbyist, not attempting to show or breed for high production. I would like to hatch some eggs this spring for enjoyment; I will add to my layers and harvest the roosters.

My flock is made up of New Hampshires, Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. For purely aesthetic reasons, I like the dark eggs that the Welsummers produce. So, I would like to borrow (preferred) or acquire a Welsummer rooster to breed with some combination of my hens. It would be great if he is a large and handsome rooster, while I am not showing or meaning to establish a serious breeding program, I would like to end up with "good" offspring.

Tim

Yes, I have been watching Craigslist and FB marketplace but haven't seen anything. Happy to buy and later dispose of somehow, but also happy to "borrow" or rent.

Tim

I have a Welsummer cockerel but I might be a bit far from you and he might be a bit young for your needs. I’m about 2 hours from Portland and he’s only 17 weeks old (about 4 months) right now but if you don’t find another one, I’d be happy to let you have him! He should grow into a very handsome man. Could even meet part way or even all the way or whatever if you wanted. I’m looking for a good home for him and a few other cockerels so I don’t mind driving lol but he might be a bit young. But if you’re interested, let me know. I think he is very handsome and should only get more handsome as he matures. He’s not aggressive or anything, just have too many boys lol

C361354F-D066-4ABE-9E82-2B3071435C60.jpeg
9005A801-5432-4E0F-A52A-706F324FE779.jpeg

Which direction? 2 hours doesn't seem like much to me. He is a bit on the young side, but will be earning his keep soon!

Back
Top Bottom