Issues adjusting to new coop

I let a Cochin broody raise 3 chicks (RIR, Black Maran, and EE) and integrate them with my adult BR and other adult Cochin. Even with Mom's help integration has been a long slow process. The chicks are still a "second" flock at 26 weeks. It's winter here and no one is laying. I have been told that the flock will come together when everyone is laying eggs and the younger ones are accepted as adults. Give it time.
I also recently moved everyone to a new coop. Again this was a slow adjustment. My BR will still ask to go in the old coop even though I have extolled the virtues of the new bigger coop to her repeatedly. I am learning that when they say chickens do not like change, they mean it!! My birds even get a bit irritated if I am late letting them out to free range. Not sure how they tell time but they start lining up at the door waiting for me at the right time every day.
I am learning.......structure, consistency, patience!! Just like parenting :lol:

These are the nest boxes. Any suggestions to make my hens like them better?View attachment 3326510
Looks lovely - to a Human!

To a chicken its a nice place to roost - not lay an egg. Chickens want to feel secure and safe - laying an egg for a chicken (even if they are production breeds) means a place to brood babies.

being under a window is not 'safe' for raising babies, being open, being able to see the hen next to you - non of that is 'safe'.

You need to enclose your nest boxes or at the very least move them away from the windows and make the sides at least 10" high.

My nest boxes are in a secluded room where they all roost at night, they are fully enclosed and most have a curtain on them for privacy. And while I have 7 to choose from, they generally all lay in 2 boxes (lots of drama over those 2 boxes haha! :))

These are my boxes, its an apartment complex, and some are used for egg laying some are used for roosting in at night (which I am ok with). I have the 'regulars' that roost on the top of the boxes at night (my Roo and the 3 senior gals). My roost is 1x6 planks (I had 2x4's but the Silkies kept getting pushed off those - yes my silkies can hop/flap up to the 4' high roost (much to my stress and dismay).

Here is my Hen House - everyone is still sleeping this morning - but you can see that Buttercup likes to sleep in the very top nesbox, and she and a couple of others will lay eggs in there. The Silkies lay their eggs in the lower nestboxes. And the seniors like to roost on the top of the nest boxes. I also put 'curtains' on the boxes to make it more secluded and darker for them.

nestboxes.JPG

x2. Some plywood screwed into the existing sides to form separate "stalls" would be a start - top can be as simple as a sheet of plywood hinged and screwed onto the sill framing and lowered onto the top of the new sides.

Since she was alone before I have to assume she was already used to that (not ideal, but it's not your bird)
They are gregarious creatures, maybe put the youngsters with her...?

Also are you sure that the owner hasn't asked you to care for then hen but is actually looking for a new home? My cousin asked me to take care of her 3 hens when she moved 800km up north, with winter coming on she didn't want to worry about them. I found out later the 'can you take care of my chickens for the winter' was actually code for 'here - I am giving you three hens - enjoy, have fun!' - haha. They are awesome hens and cause me no grief what so ever so happy ending.

Try to giver her some friends with the youngsters, she might becomes their surrogate mum and make their own little band of chickies.

But also, update, the egg-eating issue is getting out of hand. They've been enclosed in the coop/run for almost 2 full days now and all I've seen is 1 partially-eaten shell. I usually get 1-2 eggs per day with my hens, and should be more like 2-3 now with the temp hen.

I think it's a low-calcium thing but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. They REFUSE oyster shells. I am getting no eggs now so I can no longer crush up eggs shells and feed them back. I have a lot going on in my life that I don't really want to get into, and all this management with my flock right now is adding a lot of stress on top of that. I'm extremely frustrated.
Winter is coming on - I have 12 hens, 6 of which lay regularly - and right now I am lucky to get 1 egg a day.

As for the egg eating - I would suggest that is more likely a sign of stress than lack of calcium. Also you may think that they are not using the OS - but I bet you they are. They don't need gobs of it, a piece here and there.
Yeah unfortunately mine don't follow me into the coop. I have tried picking them up and placing them in the nests when they look ready to lay, but they jump down and go try to lay in the corner.

I'm sorry you're not getting many eggs. I was at that frustration point a few weeks ago when I posted this. Luckily, 2 of my hens have started laying in the coop (most of the time) now, but just not in the nests. The third one, I was worried that she was laying the eggs somewhere I couldn't find or eating them, but now I have noticed a lot more of her feathers lying around. Probably molt. But it's weird because she already went through a pretty good molt a month or two ago. I didn't know they could have a second wave like that. Or at least I HOPE it's just molt, and not some other issue.

This has been a strange year for moulting with my gang also - And I have a couple just now finishing moults. Luckily is hasn't been freezing cold!

But yes a combination of moulting and shorter daylight hours has resulted in my reduction in eggs. I don't care if they lay eggs, I enjoy their drama and chicken politics :) There is always something interesting happening between them all.

Also remember - in the chicken world pecking and chasing is normal, just as long as they are not going flat out running them into the ground and jumping on them tearing into them I would let them figure it out. It helps to have a lot of areas they can run and hide in, jump on, run behind. My kiddos have a whole barn to get away from others, hay bales to jump up on, stall doors to fly up on.

Think like a chicken... just spend time observing, watching.... you made a comment about 'wasted time doing something' - but that is how you learn about things, nothing is a waste of time if you LEARN from it :)

Sorry if I missed this, but how about stapling some cardboard to the tops and fronts of the nest boxes to make more privacy? They would have to allow about 8 inches width to enter but might still provide some sense of security, at least until things calm down so you can revisit things. I also have improvised nestboxes by using the drill and jigsaw to put 8x8 inch holes in those cheap 18 gallon plastic totes, putting them on the ground. You might even put just a piece of cardboard to give some privacy to the area below the row of nestboxes, that should look safe and inviting. I hope things calm down for you, I personally empathize with you having to deal with non-chicken life while having to deal with any chicken issues.
Thank you. So I did get some hinges like an above user suggested. I think that will be the easiest way to set the top piece of wood at an angle. Unfortunately I haven't had the time yet to do it, but I hope by the end of the weekend I'll have it done. The cardboard is a good idea because I hadn't really thought of a good way to make dividers between each box. A piece of cardboard between each could be a great solution, even if it's only temporary.

Luckily, my flock has been getting along much better. The egg-eating has been at the minimum since I got some flaked oyster shell. They don't LOVE it, but they occasionally eat it, which gives me some eggs, which gives me some egg shells to feed back to them sometimes. They always eat those when offered. So, the remaining issue is making the nest box desirable to lay in. At least they are laying in the coop now. They lay under the box lol. They are getting close - and I am getting close with my construction. Almost there I think.

They are gregarious creatures, maybe put the youngsters with her...?

Also are you sure that the owner hasn't asked you to care for then hen but is actually looking for a new home? My cousin asked me to take care of her 3 hens when she moved 800km up north, with winter coming on she didn't want to worry about them. I found out later the 'can you take care of my chickens for the winter' was actually code for 'here - I am giving you three hens - enjoy, have fun!' - haha. They are awesome hens and cause me no grief what so ever so happy ending.

Try to giver her some friends with the youngsters, she might becomes their surrogate mum and make their own little band of chickies.
I knew this would be a possibility going into this, so that's why I made sure I was able to permanently take in an extra hen if they didn't pick her up. But after meeting them, and seeing how much they care by how often they check in and ask about her, I do think they will be back to get her in the spring. :)
Winter is coming on - I have 12 hens, 6 of which lay regularly - and right now I am lucky to get 1 egg a day.

As for the egg eating - I would suggest that is more likely a sign of stress than lack of calcium. Also you may think that they are not using the OS - but I bet you they are. They don't need gobs of it, a piece here and there.

This has been a strange year for moulting with my gang also - And I have a couple just now finishing moults. Luckily is hasn't been freezing cold!

But yes a combination of moulting and shorter daylight hours has resulted in my reduction in eggs. I don't care if they lay eggs, I enjoy their drama and chicken politics :) There is always something interesting happening between them all.

Also remember - in the chicken world pecking and chasing is normal, just as long as they are not going flat out running them into the ground and jumping on them tearing into them I would let them figure it out. It helps to have a lot of areas they can run and hide in, jump on, run behind. My kiddos have a whole barn to get away from others, hay bales to jump up on, stall doors to fly up on.

Think like a chicken... just spend time observing, watching.... you made a comment about 'wasted time doing something' - but that is how you learn about things, nothing is a waste of time if you LEARN from it :)
Thank you for the reassurance. It has been a learning experience. And that's a much better way to look at things.

I thought my Barred Rock was eating her eggs, but it turns out she is just in phase 2 of her molt! Her feathers are EVERYWHERE! At least they are pretty :) lol. And thanks for what you said about the oyster shells. I wasn't sure how much they actually had to be eating.

I knew this would be a possibility going into this, so that's why I made sure I was able to permanently take in an extra hen if they didn't pick her up. But after meeting them, and seeing how much they care by how often they check in and ask about her, I do think they will be back to get her in the spring. :)

Thank you for the reassurance. It has been a learning experience. And that's a much better way to look at things.

I thought my Barred Rock was eating her eggs, but it turns out she is just in phase 2 of her molt! Her feathers are EVERYWHERE! At least they are pretty :) lol. And thanks for what you said about the oyster shells. I wasn't sure how much they actually had to be eating.
My kiddos decided that my horse's one stall was a great place to leave feathers hahaha - it was like someone tore open a feather pillow and threw pillows around! I would rake them over and into the shavings for the horse, I told her she was getting a feather mattress :) But I had to be careful she wasn't eating any of the hen's feathers as that might not be very good for a horse :eek:There were feathers everywhere in the barn this year - and everyone I have talked to are saying the same thing - the moulting this year is a long hard moult.

It's really nice that the owners of the hen are concerned for her ❤️ Maybe they can get her a friend when they get her in the Spring.

As for the oyster shells I also have grit for them, I mix the oyster shell and grit, and I just put it on the floor in the barn by the sand pile I have for them. They scratch around in that and take what they want. Right now my kiddos are relegated to the barn only - I am not home so the person watching them for me doesn't have to let them out, I noticed the other day they were commandeering a large round bale I have in there haha - I should have covered that with an old sheet so it doesn't get covered in doodoo !!

Sorry if I missed this, but how about stapling some cardboard to the tops and fronts of the nest boxes to make more privacy? They would have to allow about 8 inches width to enter but might still provide some sense of security, at least until things calm down so you can revisit things. I also have improvised nestboxes by using the drill and jigsaw to put 8x8 inch holes in those cheap 18 gallon plastic totes, putting them on the ground. You might even put just a piece of cardboard to give some privacy to the area below the row of nestboxes, that should look safe and inviting. I hope things calm down for you, I personally empathize with you having to deal with non-chicken life while having to deal with any chicken issues.
I hung some old red curtain pieces on my new nest boxes. They took to them in about 2 maybe 3 days. I heard a professional egg producer say they are attracted to red; so i don't know if it was the privacy or the color.

I hung some old red curtain pieces on my new nest boxes. They took to them in about 2 maybe 3 days. I heard a professional egg producer say they are attracted to red; so i don't know if it was the privacy or the color.
Thanks for the advice!!! That will be my next course of action if lowering the top piece does not entice them.

I’ve been reading halfway trough. And felt like responding, which I didn’t bc most issues are solved by now probably.

Hope so for you anyway HenriettaPizza.

Had to react on this one:
Sounds like you just answered your own question. New coop, chickens do not like change. Different type of nesting boxes,? Chickens do not like change. Two youngsters, more change. And a new hen. more change.I put half my flock in part of the big run area and the other half in a smaller temporary coop. I also chose which hens will be with which rooster. Some of the girls seemed unhappy with my choice. For now all my really good layers; even the ones who lay way up into winter; are not laying. Maybe in a few weeks they will settle down and get accustomed to the new arrangements.
Chickens do like changes if these are impovements and you give them time to sort it out by themselves.
E.g. years ago I build an extension to my old prefab with roost. Meant to rest in during the day. But they liked it so much that they started to sleep there in the night too. Later I added a poop board and a window to block the wind.

When chickens bully its nice that there is a second option. I added a single chicken too last summer. Not easy but its okay now. She made friends with another hen that got bullied much of her life. Now these two chickens prefer the old prefab and 4 hens prefer the extension.

Callboy is right that new chicks/chickens alway disturb the flock habits.
I’d like to give the chickens a chance to sort out where they want to sleep/stay within safety, conveniences and possibilities. And provide several dishes with feed on different spots to avoid quarrelling on feed.

Integrating chicks at 6-8 weeks is not easy imho and a delicate proces. Same with single hens. More coops, and many hiding places can help a lot.

Btw: first what came up in my mind : make 3 cozy laying nests with something like a roof on each nest (temporary from cardboard)

diy_gluehweinstand-28-2-1024x1024.png

Edited the last abracadabra sentence

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom