Issues adjusting to new coop

Yes, this is a lot better. The slanting isn’t much. So it’s stil possible the chickens like to sit and poop on it. But they will love you for it. Chickens love to look through a window when there’s a cold or nasty weather outside.

You could make draped curtains or (partly )walk through insect curtains at the entrance to make it even more cozy.
Try one and see what they prefer.

Ps., if you lay a newspaper or cardboard/ carton on top its easy to clean.
Thanks! Yes, shortly after this photo I found my Barred Rock sitting up there 😂 Like of course after all my hard work, Big Rhonda has to go and make me feel worthless lol. That's just her style!

But yeah, I know the slant isn't much. I wanted to do more, but while building it I realized that would require me to either make the opening shorter, or raise the board higher, which would block the window ventilation (I keep the bottoms of the windows cracked so I get good cross-ventilation with the opening on the other side of the coop. And they are locking windows, so only having it open a couple inches is still somewhat predator proof here in the city).
Looks good! Hay or straw in the boxes would make it even cozier and would be more natural. Chickens arrange the strands just the way they like it before they lay.
Thanks! I wish I could but so far I've been unable to find hay or straw locally. Even at TSC! I've seen signs in the country where people are selling it in the summer, but I never did buy any. Next year I will have to stock up.

Thanks! Yes, shortly after this photo I found my Barred Rock sitting up there 😂 Like of course after all my hard work, Big Rhonda has to go and make me feel worthless lol. That's just her style!

But yeah, I know the slant isn't much. I wanted to do more, but while building it I realized that would require me to either make the opening shorter, or raise the board higher, which would block the window ventilation (I keep the bottoms of the windows cracked so I get good cross-ventilation with the opening on the other side of the coop. And they are locking windows, so only having it open a couple inches is still somewhat predator proof here in the city).

Thanks! I wish I could but so far I've been unable to find hay or straw locally. Even at TSC! I've seen signs in the country where people are selling it in the summer, but I never did buy any. Next year I will have to stock up.
Other nesting material like shavings, shredded paper, hemp, dry autumn leaves, dried grass clippings will do too.

Other nesting material like shavings, shredded paper, hemp, dry autumn leaves, dried grass clippings will do too.
Oh, that I do have! Dry leaves are what I am using as my coop bedding right now. I could throw some of those in. Only reason I really like the pine shavings I have in there now is that you can scoop out any poop like you do with cat litter. My pullets often get booted off the roost and go sleep in the nests, which they poop in. It's so easy to scoop them out in the morning so I don't have eggs being laid on poopy bedding.

I guess I will stick with the pine shavings for now but I will keep that in mind if they still aren't taking to these nesting boxes. That, and the curtain will be my next steps.

Right, somewhat. I feel like I did think things through a lot when I got the baby chicks. I feel like I have been integrating them properly. But when I saw someone needed help with their chicken, all I thought about was if I had enough space or not. I should have thought of everything else.

I still have my old coop. Would it be worth it to "start over" and keep the temporary chicken in that coop and run? Only reason I didn't do that to begin with is because my hens have already been trying to get into their old coop/run (it's locked). My logic was that it might make them more stressed to see some new chicken in there and they can't go in.
I just "added to and rearranged" my coop and my barred rock Cookie complained all day for 2 days during the addition and build. I moved the nesting box about 10 feet to the right into a huge enclosure. 2 used it in the new spot and one of my RIR hens is laying below the roosting bar.
I changed everything because my goldendoodle is acting out and bothering my 4 girls ALOT.( My 49 yr old son had open heart surgery on Nov22 so he takes a lot of my time) We caught her twice with a RIRs head and neck in her mouth slobbering on her and trying to carry her. The hen was fine both times but Im done worrying about it. Now she can't get to any of them but I feel bad having to confine them so.
I bought a 13 ft by 9ft enclosure and added it to my existing coop. The hens have the whole side of my house and their 8x5ft coop (that they are locked in safely every night)plus the enclosure. I also have 2 new chicks...a RIR and a Delaware white that are being introduced slowly.You can see the large enclosure on the left..the new roof edition on the right. The original coop is to the left and the orange towel was replaced with plywood and a doorway was cut at the bottom by the coop door for them to have access to the enclosure. Its not totally finished but it is safe for them to be in.

Attachments

• 20221206_151515_HDR.jpg
    20221206_151515_HDR.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221208_163848.jpg
    20221208_163848.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 3
I just "added to and rearranged" my coop and my barred rock Cookie complained all day for 2 days during the addition and build. I moved the nesting box about 10 feet to the right into a huge enclosure. 2 used it in the new spot and one of my RIR hens is laying below the roosting bar.
I changed everything because my goldendoodle is acting out and bothering my 4 girls ALOT.( My 49 yr old son had open heart surgery on Nov22 so he takes a lot of my time) We caught her twice with a RIRs head and neck in her mouth slobbering on her and trying to carry her. The hen was fine both times but Im done worrying about it. Now she can't get to any of them but I feel bad having to confine them so.
I bought a 13 ft by 9ft enclosure and added it to my existing coop. The hens have the whole side of my house and their 8x5ft coop (that they are locked in safely every night)plus the enclosure. I also have 2 new chicks...a RIR and a Delaware white that are being introduced slowly.You can see the large enclosure on the left..the new roof edition on the right. The original coop is to the left and the orange towel was replaced with plywood and a doorway was cut at the bottom by the coop door for them to have access to the enclosure. Its not totally finished but it is safe for them to be in.
Sorry to hear your dog was messing with your chickens! Glad you got things in order though. It looks good. I personally would maybe cover half of the run with a tarp though, just so they can still be outside when it's raining or snowing, and have some shade in the summer.

Also, your Barred Rock sounds just about as sassy as mine! Maybe they all just have attitudes! Lol. Mine just complains to me all day, no matter what.

Omg the temp hen (Demeter) also laid in the box!!! :celebrateThose are my two current layers since the BR is in molt. We're in business!!! Let's hope this becomes a habit. :)

I may lock them in the coop/run for the next few mornings until they lay, like I did today. Just so they don't get any ideas about laying anywhere else in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom