It IS a hawk!!

Hey gal!
There isn't much you can "legally" do I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure Hawks as well as other birds of prey are protected under the migratory bird treaty Act.
If covering your run isn't an option . . maybe you could tie some long pieces of rope/cloth or something crisscrossing over the top of your run? Anything to deter the hawk from being able to just swoop down easily. . something to slow it down at least so that your birds have time to run for cover.

@Stayc Yes the run is just a fenced off area in our backyard and isn't covered
Going to have to confine them. If u have the time let them out and see if the hawk appears. Where r u? I have heard they fly south (I've been hoping for that myself). Its just a hard time for chickens. My roo is an escape artist and constantly leaves my girls vulnerable. I worry so much. I would cover the run or make a temporary run, covered. At least until the hawk gets bored. Kudos to dad for pointing it out.

IMG_0629.JPG
I have the same situation. Large uncovered run.
Nov through Feb is hawk season. Leaves are off the trees and hawks can see better. Food is at a premium (winter). The young ones are very inexperienced and will do pretty reckless things. They aren't concerned about people, they are concerned about getting a meal. An easy meal is optimal.
You need to go to the garden center and get a big roll of bird netting and cover the pen. The rolls come in like 8 foot wide rolls, so even the largest pen should be able to be covered.
Here's my visitor today. Very juvenile red tailed hawk. Good times.
I'm in sf Bay Area and saw no hawks feb through November this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom