Itchy Chicks- is it moulting or parasites!?

Am I overreacting?

• No, they're all gonna die and you will too.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Hi guys! So my chicks are all growing in their feathers, some faster than others, and some of them have bald patches for days while the full feathers grow in.

Some of the chicks seem to grow feathers right out of the follicle with the down still attached, lucky things, but one girl in particular has a bad case of what I'd call blackheads where the feather shafts are emerging. She loses patches of down, is bald for a day or so, and then the shafts start to emerge after that. It's not a pretty process.

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm overreacting (again) but I want to post this in case. JUST in case I'm not and I can do something to make them more comfortable.

They're all scratching like dogs. Now I've seen a lot about mites and other parasites on here, but I've looked over these babies from head to toe to vent, and there are no parasites! Are they just itchy because they're moulting and growing full adult feathers? Can I help alleviate this somehow?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't really know, all our four babies fledged easily, and we bought the older 4 already fledged.
I'll be honest I'm probably causing myself so much stress with my constantly questioning mind. Is this normal. Is that normal. Is this action at this age NORMAL.

God forbid I have a child--I'd live at the doctor's office!

Back
Top Bottom