It's a cold and windy day, chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old

Suechick

Songster
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
And mama hen has them outside. I'm so worried that the babies will get chilled. Anyone have some practical advice short of chasing them down and locking them up inside?

My first time around, I raised four hatchery chicks in the brooder. I must have checked the temperature five times a day and I didn't let them go outside until they were more than a month old.

Second time around, my broody Buff Orpington raised the new chicks in the coop and I think she had them outside by the time they were a week or two old. I learned a lot from her! She knew EXACTLY what to do - it was pretty amazing to watch. And if one of them got cold, it would just snuggle under mama hen - she was the ultimate warm blanket!

And don't be surprised when they're mostly grown and she starts pecking at them - when she's done, she's done. She lets them know when they're on their own. I wish I'd had chickens when my kids were young - I think I would have been a better parent
smile.png

My first time around, I raised four hatchery chicks in the brooder. I must have checked the temperature five times a day and I didn't let them go outside until they were more than a month old.

Second time around, my broody Buff Orpington raised the new chicks in the coop and I think she had them outside by the time they were a week or two old. I learned a lot from her! She knew EXACTLY what to do - it was pretty amazing to watch. And if one of them got cold, it would just snuggle under mama hen - she was the ultimate warm blanket!

And don't be surprised when they're mostly grown and she starts pecking at them - when she's done, she's done. She lets them know when they're on their own. I wish I'd had chickens when my kids were young - I think I would have been a better parent
smile.png

I have my first broody and I just gave her some eggs a week ago....I can't wait till they hatch! I am going to have so much fun watching her take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom