It's not always about the Cornish x's here.... 15 week old buckeyes

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
Well I had some eggs from my Buckeye breeders this fall and they stopped pretty much all winter until now. However I did manage to get some eggs in the incubator. Yesterday was the unlucky day for the males. Some great results at 15 weeks, weighing around 3 - 4 lbs each I was very impressed.

The first pic is of the buckeyes.... and the second pick is for Jaku.... this is a 18 pound half of turkey.... what your May turkeys will look like. I have to fine tune some of the pin feathers but we plan to smoke this on the grill Sunday for lunch. Hey and I found that SS table at a local scrap yard... just had to buy a new leg... thing was practically brand new as it still had some of the wrap on it. Looks like someone rammed it with a fork lift or something. After I fixed the leg, you couldn't even tell.

DSCF2696.jpg

DSCF2701.jpg

Last edited:
The amount of meat and carcass appearance is fantastic but what about the flavour and texture?

I had one today, they are fantastic. A little more bite compared to the cornish cross, I would compare it to more like turkey than the chicken most of us are used to eating. All in all, they are very tasty. Not very much meat... but good.

Quote:
Yes... that is half... I let these guys go until this week. They will be about the size of yours if you let them grow out. The picture doesn't do it justice... but I tried to get a size comparison with the Buckeye next to it.

Quote:
How is your Cornish hens project coming?

Good.... I'm expecting to hatch out some chicks today. In fact one of them is already pipped. I may give the hens a break from the rooster as they are getting their backs tore up a bit. I guess we will see how things go once the chicks hatch.

Back
Top Bottom