I've been chick watching ......

chrissieg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Glorious Devon, England
My 9 week old chicks are now out in the garage (old enough to have their own flat
smile.png
). The last couple of days I've been letting them out supervised, to graze etc. Any low flying bird will send them scuttling for cover, but when my old ginger cat comes strolling up he is their best friend and they show no fear! :eek: I had to step in when they started pecking his tail! They are BO so I wonder if they just think he is another chick! They have yet to meet my black and white cat!!

OGC often sends my old hen into a panic when he appears under the gate, but she is fox wary. I'm a little concerned - will they learn what is dangerous from the older hen?

Do you have them together yet?

I'm working on it!

Old hen very interested in chicks - she has been by herself for a bit and is obviously lonely - there isn't much difference size wise - but a lot of weight difference! I did let them mill around together and there was a lot of squalking on her way to the chick crumbs!!

They can stay in the garage for another week, but then they really do need to move out as younger chicks need the space. I have my suspicions that I have 5 cockerels and 2 pullets I just hope they can stick up for themselves​

Back
Top Bottom