I've made some headway re: very skittish 8 week old pullets/cockerels in their run.

ChickiesInUtah

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Northern Utah
They moved out to their coop & run last Saturday. They enjoy their run but dash into their coop when I approach.

I want them to be more comfortable so I've been shaking BOSS in a container as I slowly approach, call out "chick chick chick!" as I approach, toss some in, then back away. This morning they didn't run away!

I'm not trying to get them to love me but want them to be more comfortable around us. I don't want to give them heart attacks! I understand birds are naturally wary, however.

For reference I believe they're White Rocks.

Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Just keep doing what you are doing. They will start to associate you with the treats and come to be your best friend! Maybe even sit with them ...let them come to you for the treats. Give them time, they'll warm up. How old are your white rocks? We have two that are 6 weeks. Ours are slightly more skittish than the barred rocks that we have but I have seen a big change in them since they have started to see me as the treat lady with the high pitched voice. :) Good luck and Enjoy!

*edited to add...never mind. 8 weeks...just read the title again. sorry.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I would suggest chicken crack or as some would call mealworms. If you just hold one out, the bravest chick will come and take it and sooner or later they all will.

Back
Top Bottom