I've never eaten eggs in my life...

anonymous1000

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Hello, I was raised vegetarian, and at 39 am considering trying eggs for the first time in my life.

If I do, I definitely want free range or backyard eggs. Factory production is an unnecessary cruelty I'd rather not participate in.

But an unfertilized egg from a bold, free roaming, fresh air breathing, healthy, natural chicken living the good life with its friends? Thats a different situation! I think I'm OK with that.

Here's my issue/question though: I have no idea how to order eggs! What would you recommend for someone in my shoes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Get some hens!
thumbsup.gif

If you incubate eggs, you will get some roosters. If I were you, I would wait until it's spring and warm, and order chicks. Or go to Craig's list, or find someone local who has hens, or chicks for sale. And be a busy member here!

Quote:
If you don't want to raise chickens yourself, find a neighbor / friend (and what better place to start than BYC?!!)
big_smile.png
who does, and buy fresh eggs from him/her. Eggs are a wonderful source of protein, important vitamins and minerals, and substances like choline.
smile.png

If you are just looking to order eggs to eat, or even if you are looking to find local eggs to hatch, you might try going to the "Where am I, Where are you" thread. You might have some good luck finding someone in your area.

Welcome to BYC, by the way. I am of the camp saying "Get your own chickens!" I just have 4 and I love them.

Thanks for the responses
smile.png

I don't want to put the "chicken before the egg" though. Before I bring home a bunch of chickens, I'm thinking a good first step might be to actually try eggs first!

Do you guys have any suggestions or favorites you can recommend when I order at a restaurant? There are several that use free range.

Great questions!!

If it were me and I've been living a vegetarian lifestyle my entire life, I'd probably go for a "California Omelet " as my first forey into eggs. I mean, take all the veggie goodness that you've already been enjoying your whole life and add some wonderful egg goodness to it! Maybe even ease into it and explain your situation and that you want heavy veggies and lighter egg.

Ok, now I'm just making myself hungry!

droolin.gif

Seriously, give it a try and report back!

IMO, nothing wrong with enjoying something that would have spoiled in nature anyway... I mean, what else was that chicken going to do with an unfertilized egg?

Back
Top Bottom