Ivermax injectable cattle wormer for Peafowl?

The vet is an option but none near me are taking peafowl into the clinic due to the bird flu. Super frustrating because I will gladly give them my money to help her. So what dosage would you give a 3 year old hen? I can give one or the other correct since they are antibiotics?

Yeah this guy had a whole YouTube video on it. Then I put it in the search for this site and nothing came up, so I thought let me ask the experts. What is your go to wormer for the peas to treat them with 2 times per year or monthly?
Fenbendazole 10% (I think Safeguard is the brand you have in the States) 0.5ml per kg of bodyweight (0.23ml per lb) per day for 5 days in a row. Repeat for another 5 days after a 10 day break. Either direct dosed or given in food, not water. If given in food, it should be a portion they will finish eating so they get the full dose.

Twice per year for adult birds. Monthly for peachicks.

The vet is an option but none near me are taking peafowl into the clinic due to the bird flu. Super frustrating because I will gladly give them my money to help her. So what dosage would you give a 3 year old hen? I can give one or the other correct since they are antibiotics?
Will they give you a phone consultation? If you offer to pay them the normal rate for a clinic visit they might be willing to help you over the phone.

Does she have any other symptoms other than the droopy wings?

Fenbendazole 10% (I think Safeguard is the brand you have in the States) 0.5ml per kg of bodyweight (0.23ml per lb) per day for 5 days in a row. Repeat for another 5 days after a 10 day break. Either direct dosed or given in food, not water. If given in food, it should be a portion they will finish eating so they get the full dose.

Twice per year for adult birds. Monthly for peachicks.
Perfect! Safeguard is not water soluable so no mixing in the water. We use SG orally or in feed only but we also have some large pens of birds that we will use Valbazen in the water at the rate of 25ml per gallon.

Will they give you a phone consultation? If you offer to pay them the normal rate for a clinic visit they might be willing to help you over the phone.

Does she have any other symptoms other than the droopy wings?
Thank you so much for your response!!! No she doesn't have any other symptoms- she is not lethargic still moves away from me when I come in the cage. They are just slightly stretched at her sides. I love her so much I don't want to miss anything and not help her.

Perfect! Safeguard is not water soluable so no mixing in the water. We use SG orally or in feed only but we also have some large pens of birds that we will use Valbazen in the water at the rate of 25ml per gallon.
Thank you @KsKingBee I will maybe try the valbazen - She is over me putting a towel over her and picking her up for the calcium dosages

Oral dosing is always best so if you can get her used to and liking a wet mash you can put both the meds and the CG in her feed.
I agree. A wet mash is my favourite way to get medication into them.

I give my birds a wet mash as a treat so they are used to it and get excited about it. It's mainly just their normal feed mixed with some water but I add in a small amount of a different treat each time. Things like sunflower seeds, crushed nuts, scrambled egg, peanut butter etc. I occasionally mix in a probiotic as well, maybe once every couple of weeks.

When I'm worming the flock, I take their combined weight and mix up enough so that they will finish it in less than a couple of hours. They need to finish all of it but not too quickly because that way I can be sure the smallest ones get a chance to eat their share.

If I need to medicate an individual it's really easy to separate and dose the right bird and I give them a very small amount of wet mash so they eat it up quickly. I give the others the same wet mash without the medication on the other side of the partition so that they feel like they're eating together.

I spend time with them every day and observe them closely so that I can catch any issues quickly. It's so much easier to treat a bird that is still eating. Otherwise, it would be so much more stressful for both me and the bird to have to catch them to dose them.

I agree. A wet mash is my favourite way to get medication into them.

I give my birds a wet mash as a treat so they are used to it and get excited about it. It's mainly just their normal feed mixed with some water but I add in a small amount of a different treat each time. Things like sunflower seeds, crushed nuts, scrambled egg, peanut butter etc. I occasionally mix in a probiotic as well, maybe once every couple of weeks.

When I'm worming the flock, I take their combined weight and mix up enough so that they will finish it in less than a couple of hours. They need to finish all of it but not too quickly because that way I can be sure the smallest ones get a chance to eat their share.

If I need to medicate an individual it's really easy to separate and dose the right bird and I give them a very small amount of wet mash so they eat it up quickly. I give the others the same wet mash without the medication on the other side of the partition so that they feel like they're eating together.

I spend time with them every day and observe them closely so that I can catch any issues quickly. It's so much easier to treat a bird that is still eating. Otherwise, it would be so much more stressful for both me and the bird to have to catch them to dose them.
I have been doing the same for years and it works so much better than catching every bird. There is a post on our FB page complete with pictures if you want to see more. Back when I only had a hundred or so birds they used to get mash every day but making fifteen gallons of mash daily became just too much work. I have an old thread on here on how I would make it with alfalfa pellets, groats, gamebird feed, and Ultra kibble or catfish food. We would add old mushy bananas or over ripe apples or pears and peaches from our orchard and cans of mackerel on Mackerel Mondays or Fish Fridays. The process would start with a quick ferment using ACV the day before feeding. I attribute some of my best hatch years to feeding a mash as their sole diet.

Back
Top Bottom