Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

I am so confused reading all of these posts....i have three Great Pyrenees...can they have Ivermectin (for horses, paste, not liquid 1.87%) for heartworm preventative? They are all white pawed dogs.

So confusing

never use the horse paste, for any dog. Those are meant to be a single dose for a large animal, so there is no need for the meds to be evenly mixed throughout the tube. You may give your dog one dose that is nothing but filler and the next month enough for a horse, literally.

Instead, use the liquid if you are going to dose your own heartworm.

I don't know of a sensitivity in GPs. It's not "white pawed" dogs but many herding breeds that have the issue. I know of no connection to white

never use the horse paste, for any dog.     Those are meant to be a single dose for a large animal, so there is no need for the meds to be evenly mixed throughout the tube.   You may give your dog one dose that is nothing but filler and the next month enough for a horse, literally.   

Instead, use the liquid if you are going to dose your own heartworm.    

I don't know of a sensitivity in GPs.  It's not "white pawed" dogs but many herding breeds that have the issue.  I know of no connection to white

I have given ivermectin paste to one pound chickens and they were fine. If what you say is true about the mixing of the paste, people with mini horses would not be able to use it, right?

Last edited:
I am so confused reading all of these posts....i have three Great Pyrenees...can they have Ivermectin (for horses, paste, not liquid 1.87%) for heartworm preventative? They are all white pawed dogs.

So confusing

Have they been tested for heartworms?

I just looked up the Heart Gard 50-100 pound product, and it has 272 micrograms of ivermectin. IMO, trying to get this amount with the paste will be almost impossible.

Paste - 272 micrograms = 0.0145 ml

The injectable would be a little easier, but not much.
1% injectable - 272 microgram = 0.0272 ml

We have ponies, a dog, and poultry, but don't use the paste or injectable on the dog, the dog gets a generic product called Heart Veil Plus from The Pet Shed.

for the injectible, it's easiest to dilute it and then measure that. Or, simply 1 to 2 drops of the pure liquid every 45 days for my GSDs.

for the injectible, it's easiest to dilute it and then measure that. Or, simply 1 to 2 drops of the pure liquid every 45 days for my GSDs.
Not sure how water soluble it is,
idunno.gif
, and *one* drop from the end of a needless 1 ml syringe is about 0.02 ml which = 374 micrograms.

I don't use a needleless syringe. and it's easily diluted.

http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html

for the mini horses, there are 2 reasons. 1) many people DO remove the paste from the tube, mix well and then divide between animals based on weight. 2) and most importantly! the reasons given to horses vs dogs are entirely different. In horses, you are treating internal parasites. Which, while they can be serious in extreme cases, are rarely deadly.
In dogs, you are treating heartworms. A dog can be easily infected with a single bite and if you end up with a couple months where the dog is getting a too low or even zero dose, the infestation can quickly become life threatening on it's own. Then, if you give a large dose, causing a massive die off, you can send the dog into congestive heart failure within hours of giving the meds.

I don't use a needleless syringe. and it's easily diluted.

http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html

for the mini horses, there are 2 reasons. 1) many people DO remove the paste from the tube, mix well and then divide between animals based on weight. 2) and most importantly! the reasons given to horses vs dogs are entirely different. In horses, you are treating internal parasites. Which, while they can be serious in extreme cases, are rarely deadly.
In dogs, you are treating heartworms. A dog can be easily infected with a single bite and if you end up with a couple months where the dog is getting a too low or even zero dose, the infestation can quickly become life threatening on it's own. Then, if you give a large dose, causing a massive die off, you can send the dog into congestive heart failure within hours of giving the meds.
Many people think the 1% is water soluble, and the experiment I did says it's not, as does the link you provided. Next experiment will be to try mixing some in oil to see how soluble in oil it is.

Anyway, I have both smallponies (Section A Welsh Ponies), and I dog, so I do know why it's used in both species, and I know what it treats in poultry. As for the how well the paste is mixed, I'd be willing to bet that it's mixed a lot better than we can mix it, and if what you're saying about the mixing is true, can you explain why the paste has worked *every* time I have given it to my chickens, guineas, turkeys and peafowl when treating lice?

I'm not saying that it's LIKELY that you will get samples of the paste with zero in it. The amount needed to worm chickens is miniscule - think how tiny an amount an 80lb dog needs. So even if the paste rubbed up against a sample of medication, there would likely be enough to worm chickens. It's more of a matter of common sense - you can't know exactly how much you are dosing. And even a small over-dose in some dogs can result in permanent neurological damage. Why risk it with something that you can't measure how much medication you are giving?
Plus, it's rare to actually find worm samples that are visible to the naked eye in chicken poop so unless you are examining it under a microscope, it's unlikely that you would know 100% that it works.

It really doesn't matter if the general public believes that it's water soluble. JQP believes a lot of things that aren't true and that could potentially harm themselves or the animals in their care. Even 10 seconds of research tells you that it's not water soluble and how to correctly dilute it.

Back
Top Bottom