Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

Quote:
Just quoting this to make sure it gets noticed.

Pat

It is not true, however. For one, it does not cause *anaphylactic* shock. The risk is from the dead heartworms being dislodged then causing a blockage, similar to an embolism.

Secondly, ivermectin is commonly used to treat dogs too unwell to undergo arsenic treatments, too difficult to keep calm, or dogs whose owners cannot afford the conventional treatment.

I would not use horse wormer for the simple sake that it's too easy to give too much or too little. I like the peace of mind that comes with a pre-measured dose, as heartworm isn't anything to be played around with.

I use 1% Ivermectin sterile solution for cattle as swine.
I despence it with a 1/2 cc insulin needle.
MONOJECT-SoftPack-.5-cc-ml-Insulin-Syringe-w--28g-x-1-2-Needle,-Sterile-547632-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

ODing most dogs would take some effort but yes it can be done. Now if you were trying to use a 3cc needle from the feed store it would be hard to do. I inject it in to dressing. Bred soaks it up an the meat hides the taste. Others mix it in a drink.

Quote:
DO NOT GIVE TO ANY HERDING BREED! Will cause seizures! Even in low dose,over a period of time, will build up and cause a reaction! Watch the over the counter meds for heartworm, if it is Iver do not give, even if it has a Border Collie on the package, my friend learned the hardway even after I told her not to with her Cattledog.

Last edited:
Not all collies an other herding doge are sensitive. Its something like 75 percent are. If you have a dog that you think may be sensitive there is a test that can be done. If your dog is a mutt it may be worth getting that test too.

Remember I am not a vet, I dont even play one on TV.
big_smile.png

My medical training is for humans.

Last edited:
I know this topic is for dogs, what about cats?

I give my cat the heartworm and flea preventative and it cost $150 for a six month supply. Now money is tight, wondered if Ivermectin can be given to cats?

Okay..so what kind EXACTLY do i buy?? Where do i buy it at? TSC?? And how much for my beast dogs?? My Mastiff pup weighs 115lb.... male saint bernard 160lbs.....female saint 90lbs
Help, please..
big_smile.png

I give ivermectin to my 6 dogs. . . but I would never give it to a cat. The dose would be so small and hard to measure, especially since my cats are under 10 lbs. I only have large dogs so it's easier to dose. I have 4 cats and have to pay for HW preventative.
sad.png
I didn't always give my INDOOR cats HW preventative. . . but one of them came down with HW disease last year. I learned my lesson the hard way! Now they all get revolution or heartgard.

Beth

Back
Top Bottom