Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

Ok.. So you cant use this stuff on an Australian Cattle Dog, right..

Why??? I dont see how some dogs can have it and others cant..

If these herding breeds cant have it, then what do you use for heartworm preventative..

Oh and German Shepherds are a herding breed origionally.. So does that mean they cant have it too..

Ok Im real dumb on this subject.. I have never heard of a case of heartworm in my area. None of my dogs have ever had it.. But want to learn now incase I move to an area that has it..

Oh and what test would I ask a vet to do to see if they are allergic to this medication..

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
Quote:
I look for this"Ivermectin, 1% Sterile Solution, Injectable"

1/10th of a CC for every 10 pounds is the normal dose for mange an worms. For hartworm I think I have been told it is effectave at 1/10th of that dose but dont have proof of that.

I have pugs an they do fine on it. Dont no much about the dogs that dont. but here is some info
http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/Ivermectin.htm

"The MDR1 mutation has also been found in Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and a variety of mixed breed dogs."

"White feet? Don’t treat!"

Quote:
I look for this"Ivermectin, 1% Sterile Solution, Injectable"

1/10th of a CC for every 10 pounds is the normal dose for mange an worms. For hartworm I think I have been told it is effectave at 1/10th of that dose but dont have proof of that.

I have pugs an they do fine on it. Dont no much about the dogs that dont. but here is some info
http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/Ivermectin.htm

"The MDR1 mutation has also been found in Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and a variety of mixed breed dogs."

"White feet? Don’t treat!"

Thanks!!!
smile.png

For hartworm I think I have been told it is effectave at 1/10th of that dose but dont have proof of that.

The amount of Ivomec in a Hearguard pill is only 250 MICROgrams.

1/10th ML of 1% injectible Ivomec has 1 MILIgram, or 4 times as much​

Quote:
Yea, thats why after treatment from the vet they keep them overnight to watch them close after each treatment.

Yes, except it was revealed in Dr. Busby's book, I believe it was, that many vets do not actually *have* overnight supervision/24 hour supervision. One person watching their one dog is going to be able to monitor that dog a lot more closely and in a lot less stressful situation than a dog being monitored by an attendant in a clinic's kennel.

I haven't wasted money on a heartworm test in YEARS and I have a vet who is willing to sell me what I need for my collie at a reasonable price without one. He trusts me to do the right thing at the right times of the year instead of wasting money on that test. I was glad to find Dr. Busby's book and have officially confirmed in plain black and white what I already knew...that a great deal of the time, what was being done to dogs and being called "best" actually was what is best for a vet's wallet. I only wish I could have had that books years ago to show to the rescue that I got my other collie from, before she had to undergo that heartworm treatment at a vet, we could have done something different instead of what they paid to have done, the usual treatment...she was very obviously suffering afterward.

ETA: Here's a link to his site: http://www.oldcountryvet.com/ He has a video on here where he discusses heartworms and heartworm treatment.

Last edited:
Thank you for that link! We have a vet that ''understands" and is willing to help us help our animals.
Her best advice was,"spend your money on good dog food."
I have put this entire thread on my byc favorites folder!

Ivermectin given to a heartworm infested dog will not kill them. Most vets give heartguard or another HW drug to infested dogs to lighten the load. But testing is done before starting ivermectin prevention treatment because it will give a false negative to the tests. That's the only reason--- to get an accurate blood test.

When used at the low dosage for HW prevention, it usually does not hurt shepherds either. Many of that breed do have a genetic defect that allows it to cross the blood/brain barrier, but toxicity at such small dosages is not common at all even in those dogs. Larger doses such as those used for demodex (mites) does have the potential to produce ivermectin toxicity in some shepherd breeds because of the risk of them having the genetic defect.

The dose most people use to prevent heartworms is one-tenth of a cc per ten pounds of body weight of the 1% ivermectin. It is the EXACT same thing as Heartguard's main ingredient. Horse wormer is 1.87% ivermectin which is stronger. Even at that percentage, your vet may OK it's use at the same dosage because it is so small. That is a question for your vet.

Last edited:
Quote:
The amount of Ivomec in a Hearguard pill is only 250 MICROgrams.

1/10th ML of 1% injectible Ivomec has 1 MILIgram, or 4 times as much

This sounds right. I know 1/10th of a cc of Ivermec for every 10 pounds of dog is the mange/mites/intestinal worms dose an way more than the Heartguard dose.

I use that does on everything but I have pugs.

Darn..i'm STILL confused.... So how much do i give my dogs then??
hide.gif
I cant figure it out...
he.gif

My dogs weigh..115lbs... 160lbs...90lbs...

Back
Top Bottom