Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

The one-tenth cc is for HW prevention, not mites

For hartworm I think I have been told it is effectave at 1/10th of that dose but dont have proof of that

That's what I said:

The amount of Ivomec in a Heartguard pill is only 250 MICROgrams

.​

Quote:
This sounds right. I know 1/10th of a cc of Ivermec for every 10 pounds of dog is the mange/mites/intestinal worms dose an way more than the Heartguard dose.

I use that does on everything but I have pugs.

The dose for demodex is much, much higher than that.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120149659/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119833353/abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=12ef676c4ecae4f7c0efac05272d79ff

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119833338/abstract

The one-tenth cc is for HW prevention, not mites.

This is getting confusing.
I know from actual use that 1/10th of a CC of the 1% stuff for every 10 pounds will kill all the creepy crawlys that the junk is going to kill.
My math an most of the places I look on line says that is overkill if you are treating heart-worm only.
Yes most people do use that dose just for heartworm but if you go by what is in a Haartguard pill it would be:
(Chart found online)
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .019 cc or ml
80 lbs = .022 cc or ml
90 lbs = .025 cc or ml
100 lbs = .027 cc or ml

So a 100 pound dog should have 1/4th of what I give a 10 pound dog when I treat for everything.

So we are all clear. I do know my 1/10th of a CC is overkill for HW only But I don't have a way to measure .0027 of a CC an I am treating for any mange or mites that may have found there way on to my dogs.

ok

I am not trying to sound like a dummy but........

If giving my 100 lb dog 1 cc is 3/4 more than he actually needs for Heart worms......... then wouldn't it be correct to say that my 100 lb dog needs .25 cc?

If giving my 100 lb dog 1 cc is 3/4 more than he actually needs for Heart worms......... then wouldn't it be correct to say that my 100 lb dog needs .25 cc

If ALL you want to treat is Heartworms, 1/10th ML TOTAL is plenty

The 1/10th ML per 10 Lbs, is the proper dosage for treating other worms and mange mites at the same time

Ivomec will NOT treat Tapewoms​

Everywhere I found that did the math said that a 100 pound dog only needs .027 CCs to match Heartguard.

That is a bit more than 1/4th of what I give a 10 pound dog for mange. So there is a big spread in what people give.

Thanks so much.... it sounds like a judgement call.... to decide exactly how much to give my dog. I give chickens a BB size amount once a year if I see any parasites or worms and it sounds llike my dog doesnt need much more.... I appreciate all the input.

Hi all, I just joined this forum after finding this post. I've been searching the web trying to find info about using livestock wormer as heartworm prevention for my dog. Riley is a 3yo mix and has been on Heartgaurd in the past, and she showed no negative reaction to the ivermectin in it.

This post has been so very helpful in my search for info and I am grateful I stumbled across it. I've decided to purchase "Ivomec: ivermectin 1% steril solution, 50ml" http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&pf_id=17181

My
question is, where can I find a syringe to measure out the dose? Riley is around 50-60lbs, so according to the chart posted she would get .013 cc/ml. If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as finding a syringe small enough, I would be very thankfull.

BTW, I am from Sheridan WY... don't have any chickens, but would love to get a little flock someday. Nothing beats fresh eggs.

Quote:
Safeguard for goats ( and or the BIG bottle for cattle ) is the same suspension.

my vet said 1ml per 5 lbs of bodyweight. once a day for three days.

Ivermectin same way ( per mouth different dosage) about 15 days later.

i am not a vet so check that
tongue.png

but i use a syringe and the goat stuff.
i used a horse tube this month but had to use it all... I have 9 dogs.

Last edited:
An insulin needle from the pharmacy is your best bet.
U100 3/10 cc insulin syringes come with half unit markings.
The marking look like the ones on the left of this pic
resource.aspx

.013 cc/ml is 1.3 units. If you stepped up to .015cc/ml that would be 1.5 units which would be the 3ed mark in the half unit scale needle.
It is hard to measure out that small of an amount but it can be done. Remember most breeders will use twice what that 30 unit needle will hold on a 60 pound dog every week when they treat mange. At the does you are using once a month you should not have to worry about giving a hair to much.

Edited to add the disclaimer again. I am not a vet. My medical training is for "First response" in humans.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom